Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by klharper, Dec 20, 2005.

1. klharper

klharper Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Ok... I know its been done before and I've read plenty of these threads.

But I have ~$1000 to spend, and would like a nice new bass (4string), for 500-800. I would say about 850 max, since getting a harshell case with it would be essential (unless it comes with harshell). I've been looking at the Schecter Stiletto Exotic for quite some time now and it remains my number one - but would like some unbiased insight as well.

Currently, my main role as a bass player is solo, but I am in 1-2 bands (depends how you look at it haha) and play mostly violin (my main instrument, been playing 11-12 years). However, I may do some bass work, trading off with my friend who plays bass/guitar/piano (and I play violin/bass/gutiar/piano so switching off is a viable option :D )We have another guitarist/singer and a drummer as well. I'd like to plan for the future and get a bass that suits me well for any situation.

In the band, we play mostly acoustic stuff, with some rock edge depending on the songs. Like I said, I could be doing some bass in this band, and would like to play bass in other bands in the future (i.e. College, looking seriously at Berklee now). We're paying much more attention to detail these days and writing parts that work well - mostly fingerstyle, but I do incorporate some tap, and maybe a dash of slap, but nothing overly technical.
    Solo, I guess I'm your typical bedroom player haha :bassist: working on a lot of developing better slap, tap, and getting more into double thumb (my next big goal), and like to play funky, jazzy stuff, as well as melodic - type tapping.

For the future, who knows - I may at some point join a jazzy/funky band, but nothing super-jazzy/funky. I would never play hardcore/metal/screamo/grindcore/any other crap haha. Acoustic, rock, some grunge elements, would be my mains probably.

So pretty much theres my whole situation, and looking for a bass that will fit me.... congrats if you read all of that, sorry :bag: haha.

Some things I'd prefer, but not require (but still.. major plus):
    -Active/passive switch (at least, active)
    -24 frets
    -Hardshell case (meaning, if its included, big plus)
    -Goood looks (a good natural-wood finish, or nice color choices - I generally shun away from typical solid colors, as most here probably do)
    -Versatile pickup options
    -Something different/more rare than usual would be cool (lesser known makers usually tend to be better deals as well :D )

I'd really rather not stretch my budget, as I am saving up for other things as well, the bass is just first on the list. Meaning, yes you can suggest MusicMan, G&L, MIA Cirrus or Fenders, etc. and others in that pricerange, but I'd have to go used in which case might be a little more hassle, but worth the buck.

Anyways, that was overly long probably, sorry. But fire away with any suggestions you have, and thanks!
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You can get a Fender MIA in that price range, if you get a good salesman, Lakland has a couple in that price range. There are lots of good basses you can get for that, I'm not a Schector fan, but I don't have to play it and I have expensive taste.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman can be had used for the higher end of that price range. IMO any musicman bass blows any Fender away (not counting the SUB models).
  4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You could look at a used Lakland 44-02. It would be within your budget, and offers a very wide range of tones via the MM/J pickup combination. It's also active (with passive bypass), and well made (low action) for tapping, etc. Only 22 frets, though. Available in natural and burst finishes:

Lakland 44-02

if you're looking new, the Lakland 44-01 is a popular bass among these parts, too:

44-01 on the 'bay