Reccomended CD w/ Drew Gress

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by oliebrice, Nov 11, 2005.

1. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    my first proper post on here for ages...
    a reccomendation - the new Liam Noble album, "Romance Among the Fishes" has come out, featuring Liam on Piano, Phil Robson on guitar, Drew Gress on DB and Tom Rainey on drums.
    Its a great record, beautiful complex compositions, great playing, one of the finest bass solos I've ever heard on 'therapy'.
    Liam Noble is one of the most exciting musicians on the london jazz scene, working with people like Stan Sulzman, Randy Brecker, kenny Wheeler, Chris Biscoe, John Taylor etc...
    particularly reccomended to people who like Drew's solo albums, Tim berne, that sort of thing...
    I'm off to see them play the london jazz festival this weekend, will post a review next week. Unfortunately Tom Rainey won't be there, but Drew Gress will, and the replacement Gene Calderazzo is a great drummer too.
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hi there Olie!!

I just noticed this album in JazzWise magazine!

I loved Liam Noble's last album, which was a quintet which included Stan Sulzmann and had some lovely tunes/arramgements - I saw them play this at Brighton Jazz club! :)

I shall look out for this one, although the album that really caught my eye was the new Nick Smart album of Nick Drake tunes....?
  3. Hello!

Thanks for the heads up on the new album! Some of the first records that I got with him on it were the Ben Monder acoustic trio stuff like "Dust" and "Flux". Those are now required listening in my book. I also have his solo albums "Heyday" and "Spin and Drift". I really like the tune "Aquamarine" off of "Spin and Drift". He plays a mean steel guitar on that one! I've been meaning to buy some more stuff that he plays on but I'm broke! I've seen his name on some surprising stuff lately and I'm glad he's starting to get the recognition he deserves.
  4. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    not heard that but going to see them play in bristol soon.

The gig was great, Drew played with Stan Sulzman's band as well as liam nobles, playing that gage travel bass which sounded great apart from a buzz in the pa, and what sounded like very new spiros.

In a hurry but will write more tommorow.