Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Reccomended UK based ISDN internet providers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Jun 30, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Evenin' all.

Just wondering, do any of you guys have suggestions for UK based isdn interent providers please?

I looked at BT and it seemed more costly than I thought it'd be.

Cheers!

2. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Any particular reason you're after ISDN in particular?

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have ISDN with BT, but the engineer kept saying - oh you don't want this you want broadband!

It's not in my case, but I know that in some parts of England, ISDN is the fastest type of connection you can get, as the other types don't reach... yet!

But I'm not aware of any way to get it, except via BT?

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Used to have ISDN with BT, switched to broadband (with BT).

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Hehehe, Me and my family have wanted broadband since the days when ISDN was considered "holy crap that's insanely fast"

7-8 years later...we FINALLY get cable modem, wow....that's all I can say....wow.

but, I'm sure the always-on speeds of ISDN aren't terrible, certainly a step up from...*shudder* dial-up.

Has IDSN sped up any? I remember back in the day it was 128k up and down, back when 24000 baud was all you needed :p

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    As Bruce stated - we cant get broadband around here.

Also, I have a twin brother, so between us we occupy the phonline for quite a large proportion of the night/sometimes even day so an extra line would be a bit nifty.

Another point is the fact that it's 24 hour connection (so I'm told) so we wouldn't have tp worry about being banned for over-use (again, having a twin brother doesn't help tehre much...).

7. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>ISDN hasn't changed st all since it was originally specified. BRI (Basic Rate Interface) is, as you recall, two 64kb/s channels that you can combine for a 128kb/s total.<BR><BR>
    <BR><BR>Aye, there's the rub. ISDN services in my neck of the woods (Australia) are squarely pitched at the business market ie. really expensive. It's bloody annoying because ISDN is a stable, mature and incredibly widely deployed (you'd struggle to find an exchange anywhere in Australia that couldn't deliver at least Basic Rate) service. There is absolutely no reason why Telstra (incumbent Australian carrier) couldn't pitch ISDN to home users as a cheap, reasonably fast alternative the the ludicrously overpriced xDSL broadband alternatives.<BR><BR>*Takes deep breath and steps away from computer*<BR><BR>Apologies for the rant. Just a pet gripe of mine. Good luck with your quest, Yoshi. Let us know what you endup settling on.