Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

reccommend a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shearstown, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I think that I'm gonna go with an Ampeg SVT 3 for the head. But I'm looking for a nice and rather inexpensive cab with will be able to move enough air and give me a good tone. Thinking about the Ampeg 410 But any other suggestions on cabs or heads is greatly appreaciated.

2. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Ashdown? Or even Hartke

3. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    What kinda tone do these have?

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Wht so set on the -3 Pro? Anyway, for a nice sound and good volume for little money, check out Avatar and Dr. Bass. Peavey makes good cabs for pretty cheap as well.

5. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    [​IMG]

6. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    well what would be a good head for a Fender jazz mostly used in rock. I like a nice bit of growl but my mids are low. I'm not a big fan of punch. I like to heard without being aggressive on the ears.

7. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    And while I'm at it...

I'm looking for a lot of bottom, but with clarity so I can let the bass speak for itself.

8. You might look into an Ampeg SVT410HLF. Nice cab, lots of bottom end.

Have you tried the 3-Pro? If you dig it, get it. But you should try one of the all-tube Ampegs like a CL or a 2-pro.

Are you actually in Shearstown?

9. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Yes I am.

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    The 410HLF and the 3-Pro were almost made for each other. The 3-Pro has great tone, I have one only I use a PR410HLF. The Tube amps are great, but twice the price. The sealed 410HE is punchy, the Ported 410HLF has plenty of bottom.

11. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    And to comment on the post the SVT410HLF was one of top choices. Just wondering if something better is out there for me for cheaper.
    I'm worried about tube amps. I don't how long they'll last and how expensive the amp is. Plus the cost of new tubes.

12. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I say if you got the money, get an Ashdown ABM 500 + Ther Bergantino NV610 in the classifieds.

I've played both the SVT-3 and the SVT410HLF extensively, as it was the rig used by a bassist i was subbing in for...
    It sounded ok...but not really all that great.

The used Bergantino NV610 costs (used) the same as new 410HLF, and weights less. NV610 (98lbs) vs 410HLF (110 lbs)

The SVT-3 costs ($899 new) and the Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II ($899 new). Both weigh around the same.

More power, less weight, more volume (due to the extra two speakers and nobody can deny that more speaker surface area = more volume), and in my opinion better sound.

13. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Makes me glad to hear. How much do you think I could get these for these Canadian?

14. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Any good site to get clips of these?

15. Neato, I'm just across the bay in Manuels.

We're pretty remote out here so many of the options that are being quoted aren't really options for us.

However, I happen to own an SVT410HLF and a Bergantino NV-610 as well as an old SVT. The Ampeg's for sale, the Berg isn't. You're welcome to come by and try either of them if you want, though. I don't know how practical that is for you....

16. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Good question, maybe one of our Canadian buddies will chime in here.

17. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I would but at the moment I'm just doing research as I save up the cash for my rig.

18. DerekP

DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    not sure about the ashdown but im sure you an ampeg 410hlf used for 500 CAD or less.

19. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    What are the ampeg 410 HE's like? Anyone know the differencebetween hlf and he?

20. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    An HE is a sealed cab and 8 ohms. The HLF is ported (has holes to let air out) this adds a lot more low end and they are 4 ohm.
    If you only run 1 cab you want 4 ohm to get full power. If you want to run more than 1 cab you want 8 ohm, the HE is punchy, if you do that most people add a 12" or 15" to get more bottom. That's not needed w/ an HLF.