Reccommendation on P-bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Feb 11, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I will have an ash body, maple on maple fretless, 50-110 flatwounds....looking for good not want to change the classic p-bass tone, I'll be playing a lot of police tunes, first three albums, what do you guys recommend? Or is their a good thread you can turn me on to?

Klark Kent
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have an ash/maple Precision, and I really don't know what would be better than the stock American Series/American Standard pickup. I find them very balanced, with good lows and a clear top end. I've tried a few others (in other P-type basses) and I don't think I'll change this one.

I might mention, however, that I've never tried the Bartolini, which certainly seems to have a following.
  3. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I am so with Flatwound on this. Nothing that I have heard sounds better to me than the stock pickup in my '97 MIA... You can get a reasonable price from Musician's Friend on the '62 P pickup... this is what I'll be putting into a P-type that is currently on my operating table...

4. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Cool, that's kind of what I thought.

This Forum Rocks

Klark Kent
  5. You could leave the Fender American Pickups or if you want a real vintage sound I'd suggest going to and getting their Vintage P, I've heard it sounds more like a '60s P than Fender's '62.
  6. I'm looking for a replacement split-P for my Fender MIM P-bass and I've pretty much settled on using the Bill Lawrence P-46. I'm also interested in the P-46 because it is designed to work with a 5-string. I may want to put one into an RB5 to make a premium P5 out of it.

A bud who has experience with both the P-46 and the Duncan Hot P, thinks they are very close in tone to each other. The SD Quarter Pounder is reported to be more angry and harsh sounding.

Here is a quote from Bill Lawrence about the theory behind his P-46: