Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Received my Bass from Bass Northwest, but it has a few issues, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Feb 14, 2004.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Ok, I received the Fender I bought from their used Basses department. I really like the Bass. The tone is awesome and it plays great, however it has a few minor issues. It has a small dent down by the input jack which is a bit bigger than I was led to believe from talking to Bass Northwest. I am a bit disappointed in that but I can live with it. What concerns me most is that the Gold plating on the G string tuning peg is Bubbling up and I am concerned that it will begin to flake off. I know that that is one of the pitfalls of Goldplated hardware. It's a cosmetic issue and I guess I feel that when you drop $1100.00 on a Bass albeit a used Bass, it shouldn't have issues. It would be different if I knew about these beforhand but to be honest I was expecting a Bass in Great condition like the add said. Would replacing the Tuning peg cost very much? I am debating returning it to Bass Northwest. When I walk away from it and think about it, my head tells me I should return it, but when I pick it up and play it....ah sweet bottom end toneage. What would you do? I'm torn! :meh:

2. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Sounds like something you need to take up with them, if it really bothers you. . .

They should have told you about the tuning peg. As far as the ding, that could go either way. . . One person's interpretation of a minor ding might be a lot more forgiving than another person's. Used basses are going to have flaws, there's really no way around it. At any rate I would think they would try to make it right somehow if you're legitimately disappointed.

3. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    One thing you have to remember is that it is a Used bass.
    What some people conceive as mint or excellent may not be the same as you.
    Personnally........If you like the way it plays and sounds then I would keep it. The issue with the tiny ding by the jack,not a big deal. As for the Gold on the tuner.........{as you stated it is only cosmetic}, If it bothers you that much then see if you can find a replacement here or on E-bay. And if money is not an issue then I would change all the tuners to HIPSHOTS. {Just my personnal preference}

Just my 2 cents!

4. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Buying a used bass is like buying a used car. You never really know what you bought until you drive it for a while. Say the horn dosen't work, or a directional won't work. What do you do? If you really like the car, you get the problems fixed and drive your new-used car!

Is the bass you bought worth the $1100. you spent on it? If you feel you got a good deal, keep the bass, have it fixed. I would send the seller a nice letter or email, or even drive there (if close enough) and give them a BIG piece of my mind, and make a mental note to never do business with them again!

5. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    I don't know if I would go that far.

I have done alot of business with BassNW, and have never really had a problem. Their discriptions were always correct.
    If it does bother you all that much call and speak to Evan/Chad and see if anything can be worked out.

6. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    I respectfully disagree - i've bought alot of cars (i collect) and I either know what I'm looking at and or do my homework beforehand or get soemone involved that knows what they're talking about...

you make sure you've covered the issue before you settle or it's "shame on YOU" if you don't!

I've done business with Bass Northwest and found them always to be honest and straighforward guys -- i don't think they'd risk their solid reputation on an $1100 bass -- more appropriately everyone should consider this as a lesson for THEM .. in the future .. do your homework and have someone check it out in-person or get good pics sent to you BEFORE you buy! Besides .. I'm sure that Evan would gladly refund this guys $$$ if not satisfied.. Also, this is really HIS issue and not for debate on this forum according to the rules .. I'm really not intending to flame a mod here, just providing some "tough love".

7. I do have to mention that, from my experience, gold plated hardware doesn't really hold up that well. I might even say it's a gimmie to have some issues with it if the bass has been used in a hot environment with sweaty fingers.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It could also be that the bubbling on the tuner was only in very early stages when it left BassNW in Washington and was further intensified by somewhat drastic climate changes on the way to sunny and I'm sure much warmer Tampa... And yes, unfortunately descriptions of great and excellent, etc. are very subjective in nature. I think that if you are unhappy overall with the bass, you should take it up with the guys at BNW who have been helpful in all my dealings with them. But if the tone is there, I think you should keep it and not have to worry about putting the first dings in it! :cool:

9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Thank you for YOUR opinion, and noted. I am aware of forum rules. I have never done business with Bass Northwest so maybe I was a little hasty in my reply, and if I offended YOU, I apologize. I'm all set with your tough love.

10. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    Hmmm.

New member with two posts.

Both rants about Bass NW.

Troll?

11. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    no problem, i honestly wasnt trying to piss you off and i'm not offended either .. the tough love comment was not directed at you, sorry also ..

12. radi8

radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Seems like Vintage Fender,aka, Jaco-wear.
    If the guts are solid and the feel is true to you..then...

My 2 cents

13. dragonbass

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    (Was a reply to a deleted post)

14. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm sorry, I just do not understand why we get postings about a problem with a purchase, or a warranty issue on a piece of gear, BEFORE the poster has even addressed (let alone tried to resolve) the issue with the company who sold him/her the item.

Looking for advice? Resolve it with Bass Northwest! If they prove to be unhelpful, THEN it becomes something to bring up in a TB forum, but not before.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hmm i am faintly reminded of the "your business is not our business" stickied thread. Granted he didnt get it from a fellow Tber , but as mentioned, other tb'ers use bass NW and this may be making them think twice about buying a bass from them. I would have kept the dealer private.

16. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida

This is not my first used Bass, I did do my homework beforehand and asked about the condition of the Bass , thats how I knew there was a dent by the input jack, the bubling was either overlooked by them or as someone else mentioned the difference in climate could be the culprit. I did not present this issue as "Oh man I'm getting screwed by Bass Northwest, Woah is me"

Let me make something perfectly clear as MYDOGBO has seem to have taken personal offence to this thread.

This thread in no way is meant to be a slander on Bass Northwest. I sent them an email before I started this thread and he did reply and has already made the offer to send it back. Hence I was looking for experiences from others on this forum regarding the Gold plating issue before I made up my mind one way or the other. This is indeed my second Used Bass that I have bought from Bass Northwest and I too have found them to be honest and straightforward.

Yes MYDOGBO this is my issue. SO WHAT? I was only seeking opinions, if that is offensive then what in the hell is the forum for?? What is the point of running to the moderator with your "TOUGH LOVE" crap??:crying:

Thank you to all else who have given me their opinions and sorry for the rant to you all. ;)

17. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    Deleted. You may want to read the forum rules regarding name-calling yourself, fella.

18. I'd say keep it if you love the tone so much. It may be just me, but those are so minor and cosmetic that it really wouldn't bother me much. After a few years of owning it, you could possibly put much worse damage on it. :)

19. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    (Removed reply to a deleted post)