Recent A Perfect Circle Tour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aaron f., Aug 25, 2003.

1. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000

So I'm psyched about seeing APC in a week in a relatively small theater. Wow Maynard, Jeordie and James what more could I ask for, well I guess i'd rather see Danny Lohner on rythm but c'est la vie.

I think I'm more excited about seeing Jeordie than Maynard, yeah sacrilege i know considering I'm a Huge Tool fan but I really dig Twiggy's playing.

So my question is....Have any of you seen any of the recent promo shows for the new album, and if so what do you think of the new line up? How's the new material? and how was the show??
  2. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000

Well I'll have my review on tuesday for any interested parties. Maybe even some pics.
  3. ooooh i love APC. is there new cd out yet? lookin foward to your pics and review
  4. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    New disc on the 16th of sept i think.
  5. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    The new APC CD comes out on my B-day *cabbage patch* :bassist:
  6. I'm seeing them on the 18th at Wembley, I haven't heard anything off the new album except the single and that sounds pretty good. Did Twiggy and Iha play on the album or are they just touring with them? Anyway it'll be great seeing Iha with Maynard.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I love APC, and i couldnt go to the tour, although they performed within an hour of my house, i was just un aware of it till the day after (bummer) but i did download the entier concert and it was aweesome. (too bad Paz left, i liked her as a bassist, but she was there for this concert).
  8. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    As far as I know Twiggy recorded all the bass for the album, I think James joined post recording. As far as I know they are both full members of the band. I had a chance to see the Pumpkins and APC three years ago but I had to work that night (stupid job but I needed money for University). So this kinda makes up for it.

Figjam: Do you have a recording of the concert from this tour or the one from 2000? I'd be interested in d/l it once I see the show.
  9. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I love APC, and im damn annyed that they havent mentioned aything about coming down here yet. When tool came out here their tour was sold out in 13 minutes, and i wasnt one fo them..

dag nambit..

But none the less im looking foward to the new CD and those pics that your gunna post :D
  10. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    Yeah, on the tix it says no cameras so i'm hoping they're talking about flash photography and not cameras in general.
  11. aaron f.

aaron f.

Oct 21, 2000
    So the cast of players for this evening are as follows; me (Aaron), my brother and rythm guitarist/vocalist John, his girlfiend Julianna and Joel my lead guitarist.

The day begins with a long drive home from the lake. Upon arrival I eat clean up and watch a little TV. About 5 in the afternoon Joel calls up. Seems his sister spotted Maynard and James at The Forks, seems they were buying assorted baked goods at a local bakery and no one was recognizing them. For those of you who don't know, the Forks is where the Assiniboine and Red Rivers meet, it's like a cultural/market place and generally festive area. So upon hearing the news Joel swings by and with camera and numerous memorabillia in tow we're off to do a little hunting. We get there and meet up with his sister only to find out that she called a while after seeing them, but like troopers we poked around anyways in hopes of getting a little face time with a god of rock and his partner in crime. Well after about 45 mins we decide to pack it up and head out minus any sightings.

We pick up Julianna at 7:20 and head to the Burton Cummings theater, It used to be the Walker untill the guy from the Guess Who got involved somehow. So we get there park the car and wait in line to get in. A few jokes made at the expense of a guy looking for papers "What no one has papers?? bull**** this is A Perfect Circle!" The line marches along past APC's non-descript white tourbus and we make our way to the door. They had posted a list of what was not allowed in, chains over 12 inches, lighters, flammables (funny just about everything is flammable), cameras (sorry no pix) recording devices, crowd surfing or moshing. We go through the front door and after being subjected to a gestapo style frisk and an examination of my keys which seemed like a hearing on WMD's we are in!

We stop off for a drink at the small bar and head to our seats, first balcony, third row, seats 6-9. couldn't have been more than 10 yards from the stage. The entire ground floor was reserved for APC fan club members, I think total cpacaity couln't be more then a few thousand. So turns out the drummer of a friends band works there as a roadie (loads the gear off the trucks so the techs can work their magic) we spot him in the loge(sp?) and call him over to pick his brain before the show starts. He fills us in on the lights, stage layout, speaker configs and drum kits of both Danny Carey (his band was opening) and Josh Freese. Seems both kits had two mics per drum and half of Danny's cases had TOOL printed on 'em.

Although the show was scheduled to start at eight things didn't heat up till 8:30. Pygmy love circus took the stage by force, fronted by a gargantuan vocalist who dwarfed Danny Carey at nearly 7 feet not to mention the rest of the band. This guy was huge and wore a black leather type kilt and a black vest sorta thing. Their music was typical hard rock nothing great but they were entertaining. Through out the set the vocalist would bring out different masks and props as well as attack his fellow bandmates, he aslo displayed his penchant for flashing the audience which he did twice. His collection included a 3 foot femor, which he swung around during a song I think was called Bone Orchard, a hatchet and executioners hood, a metal bird mask and one of those church incense type things, and of course a clown mask and matching head-banging ventriloquist dummy. These guys had a great house mix you could hear everything but the bass was a little low, if you knew what to listen for you could pick it out. Needless to say the highlight of Pygmy Love Circus was Danny Carey's drum work from his punch in the gut bass to his machine gun snare he could do no wrong. During one of their later tunes he broke into a drum solo as the crowd went nuts.

At 9:30 or so they left the stage to appreciative applause and we watched as their gear was cleared off, the bass player's Ampeg 8X10 was left behind and miced. I scoped out the crowd for friendly faces and noticed the crowd did look a little young most of them looked to be 17-23. Low and behold in the first row off to the right 5 feet from the stage was a friend of mine who also drummed, we had auditioned him last summer but things didn't work out. He was fighting for one of Danny's sticks which were thrown into the crowd, he lost. I sat around for a few minutes and stretched my legs when I spotted two of my cousins in the loge to the left. After some quick yelling back and forth it turns out that along with a handfull of others, they had gotten back stage passes, needless to say I was jealous.

Around 10 the lights dim and the crowd comes alive. Jeordie was in the front at the left of the stage flanked by Billy on the right side. James stood behind Jeordie on a riser infront of two Mesa/Boogie 410's, while Josh was nestled in his kit on a riser behind Billy. Maynard stood between Josh and James on a higher riser surrounded by black sheets. 5 poles strung with lights and connected by black curtains formed the rear wall of the stage.

A Perfect Circle ripped into a new tune as Maynard sang, his silhouette dancing on the front curtain. The stage was fairly dark as the band was backlight with a multitude of colors. Following the first song the theater went dark and the curtains dropped away leaving Maynard (clad in black track pants and a white beater down by his waist) exposed to the audience. He wore a braided wig and had a tatoo of a pelvis and vertabrae which ran along his spine. The rest of the band sported silver/grey pants and long sleeve buttoned dress shirts. I was surprised at how small Jeordie was, he was about 5'9 or 5'10 and was very thin.

Jeordie competed equally with Maynard for the crowd's attention. Jeordie's movements were very fluid and relaxed while still exciting to watch, he never stood still unless providing backing vocals. Through out the set he would run around taking up a good two thirds of the front of the stage and periodically illuminate his bass by shoving it in the path of a floor mounted light off to the left. Some of his movements were reminiscent of his days with the Manson clan, you could still see a little Twiggy in him. Jeordie played the entire set with a black w/red perloid pickguard active fender precision/jazz bass hybrid. He favored a pick for the majority of the tunes but used his fingers for a couple as well.

Billy was in top form with his powerful playing style while James stood in the back doing his thing, he looked happy. Josh was no slouch either he kept a solid beat.

Maynard was well... Maynard his powerful movements and exceptional delivery (he hit all the notes and nailed every part, simply amazing to see, this man is a god) were the highlight of A Perfect Circle's set. Following the first few songs he introduced the band saying they were A Perfect Circle, the crowd responded with thunderous applause. When ever Maynard spoke the crowd fell silent. He spoke about the new line up for a little while and casually introduced each of the members with witty nick names, calling Jeordie "Miss Piggy uh Twiggy" Josh was the "Cookie Monster", I don't remember what he called James and Billy, but as he said "And Oscar the Grouch who's Maynard" the crowd exploded.

Following each song Maynard cast a few pearls of wisdom into the audience, he said "I appologize for our president and our country, but our hands are tied." which was well received. Maynard was not without humor, he spoke briefly with James saying that James had written a song and would like to perform it. In a strange high pitch voice James knelt down and sang a few lines from "When A Man Loves A Woman" and the crowd applauded. Maynard also made a crack about James needing to brush up on his chorus writing skills. Maynard only spoke of the new album once, he said it's title and repeated September 16th seven or eight times. He never introduced the new songs by name rather saying "this is one from our new album...". Later he adressed the issue of bands skipping over Calgary, Saskatchewan and Winnipeg, he jokingly said that his reason for playing here was to "make more money".

A Perfect Circle was the tightest band I had ever seen. They nailed everything except one minor screw up during the break in Judith where James played the high fret line with a slide, it was hardly noticed.

The new material was amazing, the first song was great and packed with energy as was Weak and Powerless, and the Package, the audience was silent as they soaked it in. Near the end they covered Failure's The Nurse Who Loved me, interesting song and well done. Maynard and the gang finished with Judith as the audience exploded once again easily the most energetic song of the night. The entire audience yelled "**** Your God" and the the scream at the end practically shook the building. They said thanks and walked off the stage to a standing ovation, unfortunately no encore.

So the show was over and we slowly made our way out to the lobby. I spotted Danny at the merch table and pointed him out to my friends he was huge and wearing a beat up blue T-shirt. We waited for the crowd to clear and asked for an autograph unfortunately he was only signing stuff if you bought his cd and I was without cash so I complimented him on the show and shook his hand, once in a lifetime experience.

All I can say is WOW!, an amazing show if you have the chance to see these guys in a small venue go for it the energy is great, they nailed everything. The way they carried themselves, the light show, and the aura they projected were great, even though the backlighting made it hard to make out Maynard and James.

New Song
    The Hollow
    Weak and Powerless
    (following are out of order, may be incomplete)
    The Package
    Thinking of You
    Three Libras
    The Nurse Who loved Me
    Judith (last song)