Recent examples of vintage, modern, growly tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockinb, Jul 27, 2016.

1. rockinb

rockinb

Jan 26, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Hi TB, [updated original post to clarify - thanks]

What are some RECENT (let's say 1990s to now) examples of "vintage" vs. "classic" vs."modern" vs. "growly" vs. "woolly" tone? Trying to better understand these terms as they relate to newer songs and music. Please provide song titles, videos, sound clips, or links, SO WE CAN LISTEN to the examples vs. a description of "my xyz set up sounds vintage, but my abc set up sounds modern".

Also, please don't throw in blanket statement statements similar to "everything before 1970 is vintage and everything after is modern". That would indicate that anyone playing or making music after 1970 does not need vintage tone, which we know is definitely not the case.

I did a search and did not see a thread, but if I missed a thread, please provide a helpful link.

Thanks fellow TB'ers!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. In my opinion. ...
    VINTAGE = flat wound strings..mid strong, round full tone.
    Modern = round wound strings. ..slightly mid scooped tone with splanky highs and deeper lows. .. (than the 'vintage' counterpart).
    I'm a bass player tho & thus. ...no expert! :):cool:

3. rockinb

rockinb

Jan 26, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Awesome. Thanks for the reply! Do you have any specific examples of recent (1980 or later) songs or links that would illustrate the vintage vs. modern tone you describe?

4. Oh jeeeez.... any you-tube clip of someone flickety-flicking slap stuff. ..{dies nothin 4 me, most of this stuff } (& as much as I admire) Marcus Miller.. his early slappin stuff - =modern scooped tone.
    Vintage - any recordings by the Wrecking Crew. ..Carol Kaye on bass. .. any MOTOWN - James Jamerson..
    Beach Boys. .. early Led Zep.. you can u-tube search for "isolated bass tracks" of Led Zep & others to get a good listen of vintage.
    Isolated bass trax of :- Led Zep's Good Times Bad Times... Heartbreaker...
    Jamerson' beautiful playing on Marvin Gaye's What's Going On and many many others
    That's a good start. .....
    All this is. .. in my opinion only, of course.

rockinb and jmlee like this.
  5. If only someone could make an amp that did it all.

rodl2005 likes this.
  6. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    I've seen my Ampeg SVT CL through an 810 sound classic and vintage then on the same settings through a F212 it sounded Modern and Growly. Just another example of how many different things can influence your tones.

rockinb likes this.
  7. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think this may be the type of tone you're referring to. It's wooly, growly, and definitely not what I would consider modern. You can hear the bass tone soloed at 3:15 and 3:38.

rockinb likes this.
  8. I like this as an example of Stingray tone. Some would consider this "modern". I definitely wouldn't call it "vintage".

freedomryder and rockinb like this.
  9. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Hear Hear

blindrabbit likes this.
  10. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Several amps can, provided the player has the skill to get the tone from his fingers, choice of bass/pickups, and settings on the amp.

The only tones I can't get out of my swr350 are any tones, since it got stolen last year. For 17 years it was the one amp I needed and I did everything from super modern, to classic rockabilly and blues, to an overdriven svt/geddy Lee tone. Only thing I did was put an NOS tube in the preamp (theif has no clue the tube is almost worth the cost of the amp).

And now I am using a humble rumble

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I dig this tone as a modern-era rendition of the vintage sound. You need pretty good headphones to hear it but the bass is stereo, dirtier in one channel. On the chorus the drive increases a bit too.

Modern clean tone... not so interested in, tons of examples out there.

Growly tone (time stamp @ around 3:00)

I would add another type of tone- Modern Grind. Here is an early version (1998) of this type of sound in context

rockinb likes this.
  12. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Somehow Jeff Ament managed to get vintage, modern, warm, & snarly all at the same time. IIRC, this was during his stint with SWR Interstellar Overdrive into SM900 heads. (But who knows what was used during tracking)

rockinb, blindrabbit and chaosMK like this.
  13. Arion

Arion

Jul 16, 2016
    Radiohead's "National Anthem" is an example of a "growly" bass. I think it was picked.

14. It uses a fuzz pedal actually.

15. Arion

Arion

Jul 16, 2016
    Increasing the mid and treble and picking the bass might do the trick for no-pedal guys.

rockinb likes this.
  16. ...unless what you are looking for is a fuzz sound. If you want a fuzz sound (like on the track in question), get a fuzz pedal. It is a fairly straightforward thing to do. :)

Anyway, here's a tune where the bass sounds pretty growly IMO.

Arion likes this.
  17. rockinb

rockinb

Jan 26, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Cool. Can really hear it around 1:30 in video. Fuzz pedal. Got it!

18. rockinb

rockinb

Jan 26, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    Awesome. Thanks. Very helpful.

19. rockinb

rockinb

Jan 26, 2013
    Irvine, CA
    So Fugazi song = what most would describe as "modern" tone?

Paul Young / Pino song = classic "vintage" tone?

20. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Well back when that was filmed I'd be willing to bet people thought of that as modern. Nowadays not so much.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022