Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recent LaBella flats convert.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scottie Johnson, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I ordered some LaBella flats and they happened to arrive today. On my day off, no less! I love them. I am using them on a 99 Ibanez BTB which needed more fundamental in the tone. It is 1st year, so it has not maple top, only a ash body. Stock pickups.

I am anxious to hear them when they go dead, but I assume it will be more of what I want, which is less highs and more bass.

I changed the strings one at a time to compare, and by the time the first string was on and tuned it up, I was convinced. Flats for this bass are a great thing. The sustain is the same, but that might change as they age.

I bought an extra long .104 set with an single .128. The only thing I don't like is the silk winding on the B is dark blue, but since the other strings are an extra long set, the wraps came in red. Not a big deal, but I prefer blue.

You might ask, "Why not buy an extra long 5 string set?" I didn't want the heavier 128 109 89 69 49 set, which is the only extra long 5 set. Plus, if the regulars didn't fit for all the strings I would need a whole new set. If the B string didn't fit, that's only a problem with one string.

Conclusion = flats and this bass compliment each other very well.

Someone should start a LaBella Megathread. :bassist: