1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recent LaBella flats convert.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scottie Johnson, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I ordered some LaBella flats and they happened to arrive today. On my day off, no less! I love them. I am using them on a 99 Ibanez BTB which needed more fundamental in the tone. It is 1st year, so it has not maple top, only a ash body. Stock pickups.

I am anxious to hear them when they go dead, but I assume it will be more of what I want, which is less highs and more bass.

I changed the strings one at a time to compare, and by the time the first string was on and tuned it up, I was convinced. Flats for this bass are a great thing. The sustain is the same, but that might change as they age.

I bought an extra long .104 set with an single .128. The only thing I don't like is the silk winding on the B is dark blue, but since the other strings are an extra long set, the wraps came in red. Not a big deal, but I prefer blue.

You might ask, "Why not buy an extra long 5 string set?" I didn't want the heavier 128 109 89 69 49 set, which is the only extra long 5 set. Plus, if the regulars didn't fit for all the strings I would need a whole new set. If the B string didn't fit, that's only a problem with one string.

Conclusion = flats and this bass compliment each other very well.

Someone should start a LaBella Megathread. :bassist: