1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recent Nash basses not so realistic looking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Anyone notice that the newest Nash basses relic jobs look quite fake and not realistic at all?

I used to really dig his work and how realistic many of them looked. I'm sure they still sound and play great but I'm just not digging the newest relic look he's putting out.

Am I the only one who has noticed this?

here are a few examples...

CIMG5283.

CIMG5201.

CIMG5228.

CIMG5229.

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Gee, fooled me! :meh:

If you had that much real wear on the back of the neck, wouldn't the fretboard have more wear? I'm just saying.

3. Some of them I don't like as much as others. It is nice to see a bunch on Lowend's site cause I would want to see it before I bought it. I think there was a Lake Placid Blue Jazz that I liked on there the other day.

4. I've found in my study of old basses that each one wears differenty. It really depends on the person or persons who played it, how they played it, how high or low the bass was worn on the strap, even the size of the person.

My friend that owns 3 old Fenders that are VERY worn show very little forarm wear on the top of their bodies. All 3 have severe wear below the strings from playing with a pick. The neck finish is worn off but in more narrow streaks and not all the way across the neck and ending at the 12 fret or just above it. The inside of the body horns are very chipped and dinged, a place on the body that I can't figure out how it happens.

Other vintage Fenders show a lot of forearm wear and more chipping and dents around the edge and bottom of the body. Other than the backs of the necks, they look exactly like the way Nash does his. I'm not sure what Nash bases the look of his necks on. That's the only thing about his basses that bother me. Also just about all of the old pickguards have SOME shine left on them, not completely dull or flat. The other variable is how much the nitro finish crackles. On some basses it's very fine and completely covers the body. On others it's just a few cracks here and there. IMHO, a person doing the relic process can either copy the wear on an old bass or "average" the wear of many basses.

I did the back of my Aria neck EXACTLY like all 3 of my friends old Fenders look. I"m going to buy a Nash at some point and would prefer the Nash neck looked this way as well.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I love Nash basses, but I agree that sometimes the relicing is not convincing. Those that you are showing are pretty bad, like the sandbelt was out of control, or something.

6. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Ditto. I've never seen such even wear across the length of a neck either. My 68 P is heavily worn on the G side between the fifth and 12th fret, because that's where I favored playing for 40 years. The Nash's I've seen seem to have had every position worn in. I wonder whose bass he used as a reference?

7. Here we go again!! It NEVER fails :rollno: At least it took 6 replies this time :rolleyes:

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I agree, the relicing on those three examples isn't very convincing.

Also, I understand the issues about using trademarked decals but a blank headstock just looks wrong. Maybe he could develop a decal of his own.

9. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    +1

10. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    +100

Whatever happened to not feeling the need to voice an opinion in a thread that's obviously dedicated to features the poster doesn't want on his bass?

11. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    it looks like what it is, a bass thats been attacked with a sander!!!
    if companys are gonna do the whole "relic" thing the least they could would be to look at old bass's and imitate the wear i've never seen a vintage bass thats worn natrualy look anything like that not unles the guy had sand paper for arms and fingers and wore his bass in the most strangest position known to man

12. For about 15 bucks and 2 clicks on eBay you can fix that :smug:

13. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I know but I'm not into that.

14. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    If it were me, I'd at least offer my own logo as an option. But let's face it- there are two things going on here.

One is that his basses are designed to look like old Fenders- if he uses his own logo, he's now building basses the look very used, but everyone who buys a Nash and everyone who knows who Bill Nash is knows that his instruments were not being made 40-50 years ago. In a sense, the relicing becomes pointless that way.

The second is more of a guess in my estimation, but a reasonable percentage of Nash owners probably go somewhere and find a Fender decal to put on those blank headstocks. This isn't the thread to discuss the ethical issues behind that, but I'll bet he doesn't sell as many instruments if he puts his own logo on every one he sends out the door. He does huge business with guitars, and for some pretty famous players, I'm told, and it's because they want something to use on stage in place of their old Fenders because the collector value has gone through the roof.

Having said all this, I'd love to have one of his basses -with his own logo- but only if it was almost new-looking.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Or he could offer his own as a user applied option.

I could see enjoying a "Knackerd by Nash" decal. :)

16. That neck wear looks incredibly fake.

17. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    It would be cool on one hand, but on the other, he'd have no control over what you did with the logo once you had it. Someone could buy a real Nash with the separate logo, then turn around and put that Nash logo on a self-reliced bass.

That's what Fender is going through right now with all the logos out there- they end up on all kinds of necks that (whether of lower or higher quality than Fender) ain't made by Fender.

Aiiiieeeeee... :D

That right there might keep me from offering a separate logo. If I were a professional builder, I'd want everything about my basses to be taken seriously.

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    IMHO, Ibanezcollector's stuff looks a million times more authentic.

19. I agree.

20. No problem dude. I personally never got the whole relic thing eith until I started following some of Brett's "Ibanezcollector" work. The work and thought that goes into them is pretty impressive to say the least. Do a search, he's in the process of completely stripping, refinishing, and then relic'ing a SADOWSKY! :eek:

Totally agree!