1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recent Nash basses not so realistic looking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Mar 12, 2008.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    He'll be the first-call relic guy in a few years, no doubt.

I'll bet there's a reliced bass out there someplace that you can't tell from one that's been aged through years of playing.

2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007

Thats what I was thinking, at least from the Pics posted.

3. How could you tell a Real Nash from a Fake one?

4. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Supposedly Sting's '51 relic'd Fenders looked so much like his original, he gad a hard time telling.

The Stones say that about theirs also.

I believe relic'd guitars were done in the first place so The Stones didn't have to bring their rare old guitars on the road, but still looked like they did.

Keith Richards would 'nt look right with a new guitar...it would look like he was a pedophile...:eyebrow:

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    LOL!

I didn't even know Sting was playing reliced basses. I knew his '62 ("I challenge anyone to find a better neck" from a BP interview) looked stripped, but for some reason I thought he was playing a real '54 or '55 most of the time now.

6. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    those ones don't look too hot, but the ones i saw at the ohio guitar show were killer! i think it was the low end that had a bunch of them at their area, nice stuff.

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I believe he signs and numbers the back of all the headstocks.

the thread title isn't "do you like relic basses or not?" so let's please not turn this thread into that. thanks

I've been GAS'n for one for a long time but was a bit hesitant to order one without knowing exactly what it was going to look like. These examples back up what I was thinking. I'd be angry if I paid $1700 for a relic'd bass like that. Some places are obviously just sanded down. I just hate to see someone who has built a name for themselves let the quality of their product start slipping.

8. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    1+

9. rochishin

rochishin

Jan 23, 2008
    That is awesome! can't stop laughing at that

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think Nash goes overboard on the back of the neck. He should maybe wear off between frets 3-9 or something but not all the way up. Sometimes the bodies he does look good, but these ones are pretty bad. He needs to integrate more random little nicks and dings, in my opinion.

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    if somebody will pay money for it, it is never a bad idea...

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Amen!

While I agree that for the most part, the aesthetic qualities of his basses that initially attracted me to them have gone down hill, I've got to cut the man some slack. I don't know if he has any help in his shop or not, but Nash Guitars is turning out some product! These things are flying out of his dealers' stores left and right. I personally know of 3 unrelated stores that have inquired about dealerships, and all of them were told that they just can't handle taking on any more at this point. Maybe its just the capitalist in me talking, but if they're having to turn away business, I'll let a few minor aesthetic annoyances slide, and give Bill Nash a big "way to go."

13. You can always order one with a very light relic. LE has had some that almost look new. I might do that and then enhance the aging to my liking.

Another issue is fretboard wear. The fretboard wear in my P bass was already there. It just enhanced a little when I applied the vintage tint. My bass has lots of wear on the edges of the fretboard but none on the face as you see on some reliced fretboards. The only thing really noticable is the green oozing out from under the frets from the nickel silver fret material and some string dents between the frets. I really don't care for the worn fretboard look. Unless that's done naturally it's hard to make it look real.

14. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    Ker-ching!

[​IMG]

That's my Bravewood, a Jaco "tribute" fretless. John Elliot rocks Nash's world every day of the week!

15. ^^^ Was just on that dude's site. He does some killer work as well. I'd like to see neck, FB, back, 'stock pics also.

16. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    when someone posts a thread about Spectors, I dont' feel the need to post in there how ugly I think they are and why in the heck would anyone own one. If I look at the thread, I'll read it and that's it.

17. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007

The ugly side of Talkbass-See Gibson, Ric or last Peavy, Carvin or Wishbass posts.....

People love to hate, but never rationalize why or add anything constructive.-Ignorance goes with youth I guess???

18. Tom7

Tom7 I'm so bright, my mom called me son! ;-)

Jan 31, 2000
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Oo! And as I slept in a Holiday Inn Express last night, THIS is the bass that came to me in my dreams! :D

19. That's because you are mature and have common sense and etiquette. ;)

20. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    As a former Bongo owner, I am well aware of this phenomenon. I still don't understand it though. I don't even care if they post about not liking it, as long as it's done in a way that respects the opinions of others. It's too bad some folks think they have to push their opinions on everyone else.

I don't want to derail this thread any further than I already have. I usually just read in the relic threads and will occasionally post a positive remark when I see a relic I like. I just get tired of reading through the BS in every thread I go into. Kind of like when you couldn't open a Bongo thread around here without sifting through a million toilet seat jokes. Sorry for the ranting which has nothing to do with Nash basses, good or bad.