1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recent Nash basses not so realistic looking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Now THAT looks authentic....... I can almost imagine the 45 years of wear and tear!!!

JUST FOR once though...i'd like to see a 62 jazz with the pickguard left ON!!! (what is the attraction with removing pickguards on jazz basses anyway...? They look much better with IMO)

2. He does nice work but from what I understand, he won't ship to the USA :eyebrow: The very fine chipping he does is unique bit I don't see it occuring like that, at least often on old basses.

3. Doesn't Nash relic for feel more than looks? I swear I read an article where he said the feel is the most important thing.

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Regardless of the trolls that love to take dumps on threads like these, everyone needs to take the good with the bad, it can and will happen on any thread.

I like the bass of doom that was posted, very realistic.

As far as the nash is concerned, not very realistic, but someone will like it.

5. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    That's his logic behind how he does the back of his necks- He goes for feel with the sanded down finish over realism.:bassist:

6. I agree - the thing with the whole of the back of the neck, or most of it, being worn by Bill I believe is just that he is going for a certain feel - like Dan Lakland does with that thin almost matt finish on his US models - to get closer to the wood of the neck, which apparently a lot of people like on so-called "vintage" instruments.

If the feel of the neck is such an issue when you come to order a Nash bass, I'm sure you could specify to Bill how much or how little of the neck finish you'd want removed.

7. Unless I am mistaken, I do not think one could order a bass directly from Nash anymore, you have to go through a dealer.

I have also noticed that as of late, Nash gear has been looking less and less... well, maybe "authentic" is a bad way to describe it, but certainly not as good as the earlier stuff. The finishes even look a little half-assed, to be perfectly honest. Some of the sunburst finishes have looked really bad lately. Like Mexican Fender bad.

8. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Wow, remarkably unconvincing relics.

Ibanezcollector > Nash

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I own a Nash.

And I agree, Bill's earlier work on basses where better.

Now, they look over relic, in placed where you never see ware?

His relic work on guitars seem to be much more realistic looking.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I've played a few.
    They feel great.

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I also think this goes for the basses in general. I played a Nash last year that was great, nice weight, nice neck, sounded good...well worth the $1500-1600 I thought. I played some recently and didn't feel like they played, sounded or felt good at all. The necks were all very chunky and they all seemed to be on the heavy side. I'm not sure where the parts are coming from at the moment but the basses were all far below that one I played last year. I just gotta call it like I see it. I have nothing against "relics" and sort of wish I'd have bought that good one I played.

12. I am the proud owner of the Vintage White Nash that was pictured at the beginning of this thread, also pictured below (front and back).

nash0w2.

nashow1.

The best part of the bass IMO is the neck and the way it feels. I have never played a Jazz that had a neck that felt so good in your hands with the exception of a nicely worn 72 that I had the pleasure of playing a few years back. As far as the relic job, it may not be the best Nash I have seen, but I think the front looks pretty authentic.Bottom line for me is playability and the fact that these basses are more of a work of art IMO and they are what they are, and I am very happy with this one. It sounds great, plays great and I think it has a very cool vintage look. :D

13. The Nash 08 jazz I have weighs in just over 8 lbs and the neck is nice and slim.

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    There are authentic fenders with neckwear like those you can see in the pics on the front page. It doesn't LOOK authentic, but it certainly is done with reference to basses like that. I can't personally imagine how necks wear across the entire length no matter how you play (most people would expect 1-5 fret wear) but even some of ibanezcollector's basses have this same phenomenon and Nash isn't wrong in this case, i suppose.

I agree than ibanezcollector's stuff looks more realistic than this.

15. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i think most wear occurs between the 1st and 7th fret

16. chris818

chris818 Supporting Member

Interesting thread.

Looking at the pics the thread started uploaded, I guess, maybe the simulated wear on the body and back of the neck is not in places where it "might be" or "ought to be". But I'm no expert so I can't really comment.

However, I'm a Nash owner and the simulated wear on the body of my '57 P bass is pretty darn convincing and realistic. Meaning: there is wear where there should be wear and it's not excessive. I think the best part of the bass is that it feels so good.

As for my neck, the wear begins on the second fret and ends between the ninth and tenth. Whether that's realistic or not, I couldn't care less...I've never played such a comfortable neck...fast, smooth and alive.

I read the article, and Bill does admit that he's going for "feel." Well, he accomplished that.

If it's any testment to just how good these Nash basses feel and sound, I sold my long-time friend - an MIA Fender Jazz and my two year old Sadowksy Metro Jazz bass.

They were both great basses in the tone and feel department up until I bought the Nash...then they just collected dust.
    The Nash is just a Bad Dude...a real player that is set up so well, feels so robust and sounds so FAT.

If the relic look is your thing, Nash should be on your list.

17. I don't want to judge anyone for liking reliced instruments,they can look very cool, but here's the thing:
    I'm an experienced player and have freelanced in a lot of bands for the last 30 years.My basses are not reliced and I like to keep them undamaged as much as possible.So if you look at my basses you might think I can't play based on the appearance of my basses( except my 74 Jazz and it's real).But I can.
    Now when I see a musician with a guitar or bass that shows extreme wear like the ones I see in the pictures I'm automatically bracing myself thinking "wow this guy is going to be bad!".Jaco, Hiram Bullock, John Mayer, Rory Galllagher come to mind.
    So my suggestion is, if you have a reliced instrument you better be able to play too or else ........you know what I'm saying, right?:bassist:

18. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    John Mayer can really play but, his beat up looking strat is a Fender custom shop relic job...

19. What I'm saying (and I guess Jaco said it first)" If you can back it up It ain't braggin";)