1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recent Nash basses not so realistic looking?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Mar 12, 2008.

1. chris818

chris818 Supporting Member

As for Nash guitars and basses:
    There's more to the concept of a Nash than just the relic job. In addition to what I said in my first post, for me, it's more to do with it being an affordable alternative to dropping $5500+ on a nice well-played, naturally reliced '60 Jazz bass or in my case a real '57 P bass. Those basses are not in my budget.

One thing to know is that you can request a super light relic to almost none at all...the one's you've seen may have been a "heavy" relic.
    So, here's a guy who's building really nice Fender-style basses, using the best (period-correct) hardware and modern electronics available and building them with the utmost attention to detail and made to "feel" and play great. There are no dogs here and no mysteries as to the instrument's history. You know exactly what you're getting because it's brand new and is made to your requested specs, but it just looks old and "feels" well played like your real '74.

As for your opinion on players, I sort of agree. But with that logic, you'd have to point fingers at all those who play really nice gear...not just nice basses, but nice amps and nice cabs, etc. Must they have the chops to justify using such expensive gear? That's a rhetorical quesiton...you don't have to answer.

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

IMO, Brett's (ibanezcollector) work is much better (just seeing the pictures) than the Nash basses. I have a bass that Brett did for me and it looks great.

3. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I just got one of his relics. It looks TOO authentic in person. I took it to practice and told them it was a relic but they were like "dude you got ripped off, it looks like some old bass they found". :D

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yeah, now that he said that, I feel really really bad about my 1955 P-bass's nitro having some "fake" wear.
    Only wish he hadn't said that...he MADE me feel bad...NOT! :D :D :D

body9.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey people, please don't feed the trolls.

and yes, coming into a thread that is discussing a specific company's product (here being relicing) and saying the product "is stupid" is considered trolling here at talkbass. any further postings along those lines in this thread will be dealt with harshly.

6. Looks pretty good to me. That's a mighty fine bass right there.

7. I think Brett's look better as well.

8. LMAO!!! That IS fun-ny! :hyper:

9. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Sag Harbor, NY
    I agree that some of the relic jobs look better than others. If you order one you can choose the degree of relicing. Light. medium or battered. On the Nash website. Bill talks about the neck wear being more worn than time and use would cause. But says that he does it this way for the feel of the neck not the look and that he feels the way it plays is more important. I have one JB63 and another on order. The necks on the one I have and one I sold to finance my custom order are both incredible, really nice. Smooth and racy. Mine below.

10. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Yeah Jim, I know, I feel like such a poser. I hope people didn't think I was some kind of wanna-be when I gigged my '54 this past Saturday night. There was a line out the door all night and the dance floor stayed full. Got a few questions about the bass, asking whether it was a real old Fender or not.

[​IMG]

11. Thank you!!! :bassist:

12. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Listen...you like what you like and that's what counts.
    Nash instruments are about the playability AND the look. I happen to one person that loves both. It's not about how authentic it is...it's about how great it sounds...the necks on the basses are a dream, super smooth and easy to play.

Kudos to both Bill and Brett for doing what they believe in. Kudos to those who enjoy the instruments both 4 and 6 strings (the teles Bill makes are to die for).

Everyone else just buy what makes you happy.

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    The look of the necks doesn't bother me that much, I realize they are more for feel than looks plus how often does anybody really see the back of the neck? rarely

The forearm wear is mainly what I'm speaking of when I talk about not looking realistic.

p.s. thanks john for helping keep this thread on track and not going where all the other relic threads have gone in the past! :)

14. When a neck is down to bare wood like in the photo, does that make it more prone to warping? I know Warmoth won't warranty a neck that's unfinished (and their necks are built like tanks) due to sweat causing warping issues.