Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recent Purchases?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, May 12, 2002.

1. I know we've had these threads before, but they get outdated too quickly. Sooooo....what albums have you guys gotten recently?

I've gotten:
    Fishbone - Fishbone (good, weird ska/funk/punk rock)
    Ani DiFranco - Up Up Up Up Up Up (great guitar playing, great band, great songs, GREAT VOCALS)
    The Strokes - The Modern Age EP (simple three chord rock that's pretty good, but not good enough for me to buy "Is This It")
    Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante (the epitome of ****ed up)
    Lauryn Hill - MTV Unplugged 2.0 (same thing as Ani minus the band)

:D

2. "Virtuosi" - Gary Burton / Makoto Ozone

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A bluegrass compilation. The song "Little Maggie" was worth the price alone!
    Minnie Ripperton's Greatest Hits.
    YellowJackets' "Live Wires"

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...where do I even begin?
    This week-

I just picked up the brand new one by Spaceways Incorporated(A Jazz-Funk/acoustic-electric trio...horn, bass, & drums. They do James Brown, Sun Ra, etc in their own way).
    ...and Hamid Drake is the drummer. SOLD!

Also-
    Marion Brown's Three For Shepp
    Joe Chambers' Almoravid

I have also just ordered-
    Joe Farrell-Moon Germs...A classic CTI '70s recording w/ Hancock, Stanley Clarke, & DeJohnette(I think LarryJ hipped me to this. Thanks, LJ, I oughta send you the bill!). ;)

The Lafayette Afro Rock Band...some "Best Of" compilation. Honestly, I have never heard of these guys(they're a '70s Funk-Rock band outta the US that relocated & homebased themselves in Paris. I'm curious).
    Look 'em up @www.allmusic.com

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    steely dan: best of, and two against nature

6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I've bought 19 cd's since Christmas so I dont know where to begin...eh,ill just name the last 3...

Fugazi-in on the kill taker
    Strung Out-twisted by design
    Strung Out-an american paradox

hopefully on wednesday ill be getting The Shape of Punk to Come by Refused...

7. CrAzyfool420

CrAzyfool420 Guest

Apr 30, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I havent bought much this year, just some random trance and a burned copy of Bush - Golden State, but I got the Strokes- Is This It a long time ago, and i really recomend it. it was a nice break from all these neo-metal bands that hope that if they just scream and play powerchords as loud as they can, then no one will notice they suck.

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Quarashi-Jinx
    Lauren Hill-Unplugged 2.0
    Daniela Mercury-Sou de Qualquier Lugar
    Cassandra Wilson-Belly of the Sun

9. Yeah? I like some of the Stroke's songs but the singer and the drummer just bug me. I do like how the guitarist's each play something different but it sounds so seamless, and the bassist has some very cool lines (the title track of their LP, for example). I guess I'll have to check it out.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    an external SCSI zip drive for my MPC 2000 that doesn't ****ing work!!!! god damnit!....piece of **** SCSI crap factory BLAETHA!

oh in music terms...well the last album I purchased was
    "Point" by cornelius on vinyl

I did recently complete my Cowboy bebop collection on DVD, that has alot of great music in it :)

11. uhhm,

* Steve Morse band - Split Decision
    * Geddy Lee - My Fav. Headache
    * Yes - Close To The Edge (vinyl)
    * Blind Guardian - A Night At The Opera

didn't buy much this month, I've been a little broke since I bought my MM Stingray

12. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Morning View-Incubus
    In Our Gun-Gomez

13. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Marcus Miller - M^2

14. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    My most recent:

Cracker - Forever (one of their best)
    Cornershop - Handcream for a Generation (good CD very disco-like, terrible live band (saw them a week ago))

on order:
    Camper van Beethoven : Tusk (they cover the entire Fleetwood Mac Tusk album, I haven't heard it yet but it should be interesting)

-KB

15. i downloaded Wilco's "yankee hotel foxtrot" and will be buying it soon, because it's freaking brilliant.

16. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    David Holmes: 'Come Get It. I Got It.'

Michael Jackson: 'Off The Wall' (Special Edition)

Dave Brubeck: 'Time Out'

Crosby, Stills & Nash: 'Crosby, Stills & Nash'

On order...

Pat Metheny Group: 'Speaking Of Now'

Emerson, Lake & Palmer: 'Very Best Of'

Akira Sakata: 'Fisherman's.com' - Have no idea what this will sound like, but it has Hamid Drake on drums and the reclusive genius Pete Cosey on guitar, so I can't wait!

17. So far this month:

My Iron Lung - Radiohead
    Evil Empire - RATM
    Facelift - Alice in Chains
    Echobrain's self-titled debut

Its all good :).

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dave-
    Clue me in when you get this!
    BTW, I still haven't found that issue of Guitar Player w/ Cosey(it's gotta be in 1 of 2 rooms...that should tell you what a mess I have!). ;)

19. CrAzyfool420

CrAzyfool420 Guest

Apr 30, 2002
    Los Angeles
    very true, the singers not too bad, but sometimes when then guitars and bass are really flowing, the drums just kind of mess it up. just goes to show how important it is to have a good drummer, no matter good your bassist or guitarists are, if the beats a little off, it wont feel right.

20. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    I just got 2112 yesterday. Tommorow there will be another cd added to my collection:D