Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recently got a 70's Ampeg V4-B tube head (help me find a cab)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tolas, Jul 19, 2005.

1. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
    I recently got a hold of a 1970's Ampeg V-4B 100 watt tube head. I instantly fell in love with it's sound, but I'm a little scared that this is not going to be powerfull enough to keep up with my band. I've only played it thru a Ampeg SVT410HEN cab and it wasn't quite loud enough.

I heard that these amps really shine with a super efficient 2x15" cab hooked up to them. I was just wondering if you think this will give me the volume and tone I need, and also recommend me a cab.

I'm looking at a 2x15" Sunn cab right now. It's huge, and should be fairly efficient. Does anyone know what cabs were matched with the V-4B head when they first came out?

I really need to know if I can get the sound out of the 2x15's or if i should just use the V-4B to power a single 15 and for my tone to send into another amp powering a 4x10 or another 15.

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'm gonna be buying the current version of the V4B her soon (the V4BH) and have done a bit of research. It seems you should use it with a cab rated at a lower watts rating so it will be louder. The higher a cab's rating is the stiffer the speakers are which means it takes more energy to move them.

V4B+200W cab=loud

V4B+800W cab=not loud

I plan on buying an ampeg classic 210 (200W) or one of their discontinued 4X8's if I can find one.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont know much about Sunn, aside from being popular for vintage amps. Old Mesa roadready 2x15's have pretty high ouput.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I bet it would sound killer with a Bergantino NV215. I really like the older Mesa Boogie Diesel and Road Ready 2x15's, also, but they are much larger/heavier than the NV215.

Tom.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Actually, this is not true. The efficency has nothing to do with the power rating of the cab. The rating is how much it can take; SPL ratings tell you how loud it can get with how many watts. Running a head through an 800 watt cab will not be louder than running it thtough a 200 watt cab of the same efficency. For the V4B, I'd suggest a Bergantino 215 or 610 or an Aguilar 412.

6. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

stone killer !!
    i really dig the Ampeg grit thru a high definition cabinet ...
    jmo

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    My old V-4B sounds SWEET through a berg 610.

8. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005
    unfortunatly i can't afford the berg stuff. I'm really stuck to something at or below $500.

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    metron how loud are you able to get with that setup before overdrive? I have a Bassman 135 (100watt) old tube head, and I'm looking for a newer cab aswell :D

10. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    get an empty cab.. and load it with very, very efficient speakers..

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    not too loud. ill set the volume to about 11:00 and play with various degrees of attack to go from mostly clean to mostly distorted. thats a function of the amp and not so much the cab though. all i can say is that the berg can take anything i throw at it with the V-4B. i think it would be a great match for the bassman 135.

tolas - the V-4B came with a cab the same size as the ampeg 810 but it contained a folded 215 design i think. i got my berg 610 used for about $650.

12. I can certainly tell you what NOT to get, if that helps at all?

Musician friend of mine and I saw a band this past weekend - slightly punkish-rock band in a very small pub...capacity, maybe 50-60. The club has a PA and monitor for vocals. The bassist was using a Bassman 135 through an Ampeg 1x15 - some lower-shelf sort of ported monstrosity. He sounded alright through it - certainly nothing special, however, on their high energy songs (about half their songs), he was quite drowned out by the rest (1 female guitarist-vocalist, and drums). I think the guitarist-singer was playing through somewhere between 30-50 tube watts. It just couldn't keep up through that cab.

I've played the Berg NV line, and they're fabulous. If you have the means to save for one, I highly, highly recommend it. Oh yea, and if you don't need to be lugging it up 3 flights of narrow stairs in the city every time you use it :p

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bergantino.

I'd recomend a 610 or 425.. Only because the V4 is only 100 watts, and you say it can just keep up volume wise.. So I suppose it's being overdriven nicely? If it is, i'd suggest a Bergie with 10's.

If not, Bergantino NV215.

14. tolas

tolas

Mar 16, 2005

Some of the sounds I use out of it are very overdriven. I also like to have a clean setting too though. Are the 10's better for overdriven stuff? Will the 15's sound like crap when pushed?

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    From Jim and other users. The 610 handles distortion best. Then the 425, then the 215.

I suppose it just depends how much of it you use and how often though.

I wouldn't say it's sound crap, but maybe not great, or as good as it would through a 610.

16. I'd recomend an Ampeg SVT410He or SVT410HLF for an older school look, and for something a little more portable. I have played though an Ampeg 810 which sounded so awesome, but it's somewhat huge- maybe over kill for the 100w head; I played through the SVT CL head... Sweet! The SVT410he sounds pretty good also- very tight sealed ampeg cab, atleast it sounds good with my GK 800RB.

Newer more modern designed cabinets my suit your touch a fair bit more- they will porbably be louder for less wattage taken- as most modern cabs have a much higher SPL than the Ampeg units. The Berg NV215 looks good as does there 610, short of that I dont know what to recomend- I cant vouch for either berg units, but it might be money well spent.

Pop: hows the Schroders going, got them yet? I see theres some Mesa Deisel cabs on ebay.au, shame I already brought the Ampeg cab.:smug:

17. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    I have heard great reviews for the Eden 215xlt. It's much cheaper than the Bergantinos as well.

18. We are talking about 100 TUBE watts here. I don't think you'll have much problem keeping up with yer band.

No sir.

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Old Sunn cabs are sweet and are usually VERY efficient, especially the folded horn style ones. You should be fine.

Completely untrue.

I don't like the way 10s sound when overdriven, but that's definately more personal preference.

20. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The V4B, in my experience, simply does not have the oomph to keep up with a loud band unless you are running it through an 810 or don't mind sounding like a fart. Sorry, but 100 tube watts is just 100 tube watts.

That said, you may want to consider some of the older Peavey 215 loaded with Black Widows. Thay can be had for pretty cheap, are loud and have a nice old school vibe to them. Bergies would be nice but they are pricey.