1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recently neck pickup weak on J bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bassics101, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    Hi All, I've a 2007 MIA Jazz bass, the one with the S1 switch. I've had it since new and not had any problems. Recently, I noted that when I put the pups in series, the volume seemed to drop. When parallel, if I solo the neck pup the volume is very low. Not an issue with height from strings. That has not changed. When using metal to touch the magnets the click from the neck is much softer than with the bridge. I've checked pup resistance (both equal at 7.5K); pot's check out at ~250K. I'm not sure how to test the S1 switch, but doubt that it would cause these symptoms. I'm suspicious that it is the pup, but uncertain. One more thing, the tone control seems to reduce the volume of this pup when turned down, but that could be just that neck pup is so low that rolling off treble make sit sound lower.

I've seen a similar mention on an earlier thread, but the only recommendation was to raise the pup closer to the stings. Not an issue here.

Thanks, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

2. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    I'll bet an adult beverage it's caused by a cold solder joint in the neck pickup circuit. They can seldom be detected with a meter. I would try reflowing the solder joints in that circuit starting at the eyelets on the pickup bobbin.

mech

3. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    Hi Mech,
    Could be, and I'll check, but most were re-soldered today when I removed pups (and a few other leads). I checked the resistance after removing pup leads so that nothing else was in the circuit. I'll try those that I didn't get today and see if that helps.

4. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    Well, turned out to be the pup. Pulled both pups out, connected to amp, and the neck pup had a very treble "click" when touched with screwdriver, while bridge was nice and deep. Soooo, down to the local shop for some 1/4 lb'ers. Problem solved. And they are interesting! As tech told me, very punchy. In series they are something else. Wonder what the P version is like. I think I'll try the vintage version sometime, but these are fun.

So Mech, as to the adult beverage, if we ever meet, you can buy me one since it wasn't a cold joint (I did hit every one including at the pups to no joy), but I'll buy you one for the best, and only, response.

Jim

Jim

5. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Doing tech work, I've saved about 3 times as many pickups as I've had to trash over the years by reflowing the eyelet joints if I could get to them so I was stacking the odds against you. Same with open speakers where the coil wires are connected to the tinsel wire on the front of the cone if the coil isn't burned or rubs. With a speaker it depends on the size of the dust cover as to whether or not you have easy access. Removing a dust cover with solvent is hit and miss. If you get it off and put it back on where the balance or stiffness is unequal around the cone you have another problem. Since you're a DYI that may come in handy one day.

Which version of the 1/4 lb'ers did you get? I've recently received a SJB-3b, gratis, and haven't put much thought into what to do with it yet. Have no live experience with them. I have a P type bass with a pretty high output PU I'm considering adding it to and I have a couple of SC basses where I have switching for either/or and series/parallel which I really like for flexibility.

mech

6. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    Yup, I did check the eyelet at the pup and to be sure resoldered, but no change. And with the click sounding all high pitched with nothing else in the circuit, it was the pup.

The 1/4 lb'ers are the SJB-3(N and B, I replaced both). I'd had no experience with them, but trusted the tech guy that suggested them. They do have a real solid punch, and with the J in series, it's a deep kick. I had to change the eq on the amp from what I was using with the standard fender pups. I started adding a little more high's and mid, but then backed it off.

Fun to experiment with sounds. I'm thinking it might be nice to try the P version, but now I'm also curious as to what their Vintage Series would sound like. Comparisons have probably been covered in many threads on TB. I also like the S1 switch for the simple reason of tone flexibility. I can do a lot with that bass.

I think adding the 1/4 B at the bridge might give you a very interesting mix with a P, the P already being somewhat deep would match I'd bet.

Jim

7. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Thanks, man.