Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recently Purchased Albums...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Feb 19, 2003.

1. This thread's been done before, but I wanted to see what everyone was buying these days...
    My new CDs...
    *Dropkick Murphys - Live On St. Patrick's Day
    Meh. I was hoping there'd be more Irish jigs than straight up punk rock, but it's not bad. Probably would've been a hell of a concert to see up close and personal.
    *The Athenians - Greek Songs, Dances, and Rembetiko
    Freakin' awesome. This band is full of excellent players, and while I'm not a fan of the vocals, I do dig the technical aspects of the playing as well as the modes of traditional Greek music.

I plan on getting The Dillinger Escape Plan's Calculating Infinity and something by The Pogues (apparently, their best album is out of print!) sometime soon. What about you?

2. Calculating Infinity rules. Pretty much all their stuff does, though.
    My friend's brother showed me some Joy Division and New Order the other night and I liked it a lot. I might pick up their double disc complete BBC sessions cd. I also need more Don Caballero.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes. You do.

I happened to stumble onto a Don Caballero concert at a now non-existent club in Houston that was called Goat's Head Soup in about 1994 I guess. They were playing with Crain and Laughing Hyena. The former of which was awesome and the latter completely blew chunks. Of course Don Caballero destroyed them both. Man I was completely unprepared for DC and had, until that point, never heard of them. What a great way to hear them for the first time!

The Goat's Head Soup club eventually blew up during the middle of the day btw. Rumors had the mob involved. It was a shame because they used to get some really esoteric type underground acts.

brad cook

4. I just bought Dream Theater - Awake not too long ago, so that counts.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    oh man...you must purchase Calculating Infinity!!! Best cd of all time...

Hmmmmm I haven't bought a cd in awhile because im saving up for a new amp:(

but for christmas I got Bright Eyes, Cursive, Dillinger Escape Plan w/mike patton, and some other cd's. good stuff

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Jaco - invitation
    Joni Mitchell - Don Juan's reckless daughter
    Michael Manring - The book of Flame

I ordered them all online...for an experement I decided to use free shipping, the stipulation is that though its free it takes 5-9 business days...so they shipped the other day and will be here sometime next week.

I can't wait to hear invitation, I did it all for Reza - giant steps - Reza.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    hmm most recent was 2 Skinnee J's-Volumizer. Not near as good as their first, I was dissapointed. Oh ya I got Justifide's (no not justin timberlake you crackhead, they are hardcore) Beauty of the Unknown. Oh ya Beethoven's Symphonies 4 and 5 too :D.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I ordered that in November - still haven't got it!! :(

I have bought recently :

Dennis Chambers Outbreak,
    Wayne Shorter - best of the Blue Note years 2CDS
    ScoLOHoFO - Oh!!
    Scriabin - complete Symphonies - Ashkenazy

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've acquired 45 cds since x-mas. My last trip was 9 cds. I won't bother to list them...

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Hmm I've not bought too many recently.

The latest ones are:

Electric Light Orchestra - No Answer
    Electric Light Orchestra - II
    Electric Light Orchestra - On The Third Day
    Joni Mitchell - Hejira

And the ELO ones, I had to order from the US (and they're a British band!).

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've given up buying CDs this year - instead, I'm downloading albums (legally) from Emusic.com.

I've already lost count of how many I've grabbed and while I've had one or two I've been less than wild about, most have been pretty good. The most recent were:

Nnenna Freelon - Tales of Wonder
    Monty Alexander - Ivory and Steel

I came across them while trying to track down copies of 'Another Star' (Stevie Wonder) and 'Streetlife' (The Crusaders?), which are lined up for my band to learn - Emusic.com doesn't have the originals but both these albums have turned me onto new artists I want to explore further.

Wulf

12. Bruce Lindfield

Street Life by the Crusaders (Music by Joe Sample, lyrics by Will Jennings) is in the Sher New Real Book and my band plays "Another Star" - it's a Latin classic!! ;)

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Both great songs, and yes, Streetlife was The Crusaders - w/ Randy Crawford doing the vocal.

...But, the fact that you're looking for Another Star, suggests that you *don't* own a copy of "Songs In The Key Of Life"!!! :eek:

Don't worry, that (huge) blunder is correctable, but get thyself to HMV, pronto! :D

14. Bruce Lindfield

There's a great version of "Another Star" on Alex Wilson's last album "R&B Latino" !! :cool:

For Moley - Alex is one of the best pianists working in Britain today - won the Radio 3 award for best Jazz newcomer!!

15. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Cool, I've not heard the name, actually, but I'll check that out! :)

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    No - I don't own 'Songs in the Key of Life' but as I said, I'm sworn off buying cds this year. It's an experiment - although not quite as radical as the guy who spent a whole year living on the Internet - but it's turning me onto a whole stack of new music.

Unfortunately, although Emusic.com do have a number of Mr Wonder's albums (but not SITKOL), they're among those that are "Not available outside the United States due to licensing restrictions" :bawl:

Regarding 'Street Life', I've got the Sher New Real Book - I was just looking for some aural input to back it up. I think other people in the band have got both these pieces but I just wanted to do my homework... even if we don't end up doing either track, I've found two great new artists who I enjoy listening to. :)

Wulf

17. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    "Ten more turnips from the tip" - Ian Dury's last studio album - Superb.

18. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Joni Mitchell - 'Shadows and Light'

Thelonious Monk - Ken Burns' Jazz compilation

Ornette Coleman - Ken Burns' Jazz compilation

Got them brand-new for £5 each!

19. Bruce Lindfield

Boo Hiss.......;)

I just heard on the radio, that global sale of recorded music fell by 12% in the last year!

If everybody has this attitude it's going to get harder and harder to make a living out of music. :(

20. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I reckon that I'm going to be contributing more to artists this year than I have done in the past (I've never been a big cd purchaser). It's the people who produce, package, distribute and sell the physical CDs who miss out but as far as I'm aware, the musicians still get their dues.

It's more ecologically friendly as well ;)

Wulf

ps. maybe it will become harder to make a living off the back of musicians?