1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

recently switched to playing with fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Fontaine, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    well like the title says ive recently switched to my fingers and ive been having trouble playing the E string without hearing this pop sound that seems to happen when the string hits the fret after i play any chord, this is really annoying because it kills my whole groove and ruines the song. Im using a fender jazz (if that helps) and ive tried everything to try and get rid of the sound, ive moved my shoulder further out so that my fingers meet the strings at more of a 90 degree angle. I dont want to have to bend my wrist to much because it will lead to pain down the road, i think if i raise the strings more it will help me, but if i move up the stings (or just the E) will this tamper the sound and if i move just the E up, will everything else be out of tone or be at a different level of sound?

thanks in advance guys!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're playing too hard. Lighten up with your right hand a notch or two, and play closer to the bridge.

3. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    im actually resting my right hand on the neck pup, and i dont really want t have to change that because it kinda kills my tone, but ill give it a try i guess, thanks for the post.

keep 'em goin!

4. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Or on the other side, you could learn how to make the popping sound part of the music. I actually play that way myself.

5. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    you might be hitting the pickup with the strings, which is a result of plucking too hard.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Pluck side to side, don't push the string up/down.

7. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    ive tried that but i have to bend my wrist to far and it leads to pain.
    but what if i raise the strings? will this effect the sound?

8. +1

9. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    oh, ive tried but its gross, i cant stand it, im soon going to throw up.

10. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Wow! That bad huh?

Try raising the action a bit. If you only want to raise the E string, give it a try. See if there's a noticible difference in output between the strings. My E string is just a bit higher than the rest.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well you can't have everything. You can raise the action, but it's debatable whether it will help. Somewhere along the line a sacrifice will need to be made. Either you'll have to back down or move your hand closer to the bridge, or you'll have to get used to the sound.

12. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    to raise the action just rasie the string right?...i think...

13. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Yeah, there's small allen screws in the saddles (in most basses)... raise it that way.

14. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    yea, thanks man, ill give that a try if all else fails.