1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recently went back to old school.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SunnModelT, Oct 13, 2013.

1. SunnModelT

SunnModelT

Nov 13, 2008
    Vacaville CA
    I recently brought back out my '65 Dual Showman. The vintage head over the original cabinet with 2-15 JBL D140's brought back the tone I'd been missing for years. My Ampeg rig is going into storage for awhile. I play in a 60's to 80's cover band. We just gigged outdoors and were heard all over town with no problem.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah my Ampeg IS my vintage rig. (Magnavox era V4) It is getting the vast majority of playing time over my Mesa Walkabout Scout 15" stack these days.

3. I have played through a cabinet like that - 2x15 D140s. It is a truly great sound. I really miss it.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Well, with a user name like "SunnModelT", I'm guessing that the old-school thing was never really that far from your heart anyway, amirite?

MM

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I'm old enough to have played thru all those rigs.
    Great nostalgia here.
    Enjoy.

6. I've got the 1965 showman too and it just has 1x15 and I love the sound I get with it.

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Fabulous amp! You can have the cab though... My fav was the small box 2x12 loaded with ev's or JbL's. not as loud but the tone was ... Amazing. Chris Hillman here I come!

The last year or so I've been recording with a Music Man RD-100 into a 2x15. Mostly using the 50 watt setting. Reminds me a lot of Showman Amp 'clean'. The beautiful fat bottom, sparkly highs... The old Fender 'all tone controls on 6' sound is in there.

Those old MM heads are still available for reasonable whereas a 65 Showman Amp... Not so much :) Sweet amp!

8. You should seriously check out a 215 built around the faital pro 15PR400's. They cop a LOT of that old JBL vibe, but have a few modern touches that really set them apart.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Nothing like the real thing, imho, especially those JBL K140's, which are my fave JBL 15 bass driver. A really sweet tone for bass, especially with a tube amp.

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    :scowl:

There's something about those old school cabs. If that's the tone you want, very little else will do. Just make sure you can afford the roadies to move it!!! ;)

11. Did you actually read my post?

So recommending someone get perspective on a driver that may appeal to them, and possibly be easier/cheaper to use warrents your disdain?

Tough crowd in Amps today. :atoz:

12. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Of course. Respectfully, I just found it comical that even a thread extolling the sonic virtues of old schools cabinets could be turned into a "buy a fEarless" pitch.

13. Please, show me where that has been said in this thread?

14. I still use occasionally a 65 Showman and the smaller (36" tall) 2-15 with D140Fs. Great sound but you'll get better bass response if you port and tune the cab (two 4" diameter by 4" long for Fb of around 48 Hz) as well as line ALL the cab walls (including the front baffle, recommended by B-String).

The Faitals CL mentioned are pretty much a drop in substitute for the D140s (if you port the cab) in the smaller cab and weigh less than half, so if you can't find the JBLs or don't want to lug 90 lbs of cab I'd look at those.

Check out JohnK_10s thread on his Starliner cab build for sound clips, the Faital sounds really close to the JBLs.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/custom-diy-2x15-cab-build-854517/

15. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    30 years ago moving fridge sized amps was the norm. Once they were in place they filled the room with endless tone and solid bottom, much like driving a Mack truck. If you wanted BIG tone that's just what you did.

The OP's discussion is about how he loves his old sound, without any comparisons to modern upgrades, JUST the old amps as they sit with their beautiful original OEM parts.

There are aspects of my life that I use nothing but modern technology, but on the old school sound from the Sunns, Fenders and Ampegs, I agree. There was something magical about them. Solid. Warm tube sounds. Solid bottom ends.

I can understand why those of us that were there wax nostalgic when we think of those pants flapping days. One of my fondest memories is playing a Super Bassman with 2 x Fender Bassman 215 silver coned JBL cabinets. It was nice to feel the bottom end vibrate in your shoes. :D

16. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    All controls on 6 ! Inever heard of that before ! Was that the " sweet spot " for those amps ?

17. I hadn't heard that either, probably depends on a lot of things. I like 3 to 4 max on the treble and bass, maybe 7 for mid.

Switching over to a 12AY7 for one of the channels can give a little more control over the gain (more headroom).

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Only for playing the devil's music. :D

Bass:6, Middle:6, Treble:6

19. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Ha ! :D

20. SunnModelT

SunnModelT

Nov 13, 2008
    Vacaville CA
    Thanks to Ebay I have collected many old school amps and cabinets. Mostly blackface Fenders and cabs with JBL's. I do have a couple of Model T's that are killer but they are too heavy to lug around all the time. I need to rotate the old amps that I use more often so that they don't need servicing every time I dust one off. My Model T's will need a tune up before I gig with them again.