1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

recessed output jacks - finally useful to me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Jul 11, 2018.

1. When I first got my SR1800E I wasn't too happy about the recessed output jack, especially since it didn't work with my right angle plug.

Now I've got two basses with the recessed jack:
    ibanez-sr300eb-ca-ca-candy-apple_p.
    SR300EB

Turns out they're pretty useful for sitting on the carpet to play, LOL!

ruju likes this.
  2. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I'd rather have a jack in the front, like a Jazz, Mustang, or P Bass does.

I have a healthy disdain for side jacks. It doesn't mean I won't buy a side jack bass, but if I can find a model with a front jack, I'd rather have that.

fhm555 likes this.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I’m the opposite and have always prefered a side jack even though most of my basses have top/front jacks. My preference for side jacks has led me to hunt down Deluxe Jazz basses for the side jack as well as the option of having four controls instead of three.

mbelue likes this.
  4. I have an SR3006 with a recessed jack socket like that, I've never had an issue with using a right angled jack with it. My preference is for a front mounted jack socket, but a recessed socket is also fine for me, as I often play seated. That's why I love right angled cables.

5. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    My only issue with recessed jacks is that when they inevitably start to go bad, they're not as easy to replace without scratching up the finish.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  6. That is the other reason I don't really like the recessed jacks, because I have no idea how I'm going to get it out of there when the time comes.

On mine the plug rides on the finish when the right angle end is plugged in.

mmon77 likes this.
  7. honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    There's a hex nut on the inside of the instrument that can be loosened. Once the nut is loosened and the jack is desoldered, then it can be pushed out from the back.

SirMjac28 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  8. As long as it doesn't just spin in place. I'd think you need something to hold it from spinning on the opposite side.
    The jack is quite long, I've had it open plenty of times, but there's no way to hold it steady from the inside w/o bending the contacts.

fhm555 likes this.
  9. honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I've never had it spin indefinitely as you describe, but believe it or not, you can use a plugged in cable to give it a little bit extra staying power, and then if that doesn't work...

Jack The Gripper | stewmac.com

Expensive, though.

JKos, BAG and Matthew_84 like this.
  10. honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    (Overall, though, I hate those types of jacks. I've been known to drill them out and use a metal plate instead so I can use a regular open Switchcraft jack. Of course, that's not possible on an Ibanez, though maybe someone could make a contoured Strat style thingy or something.)

Jeff Scott likes this.
  11. I didn’t know a cable would work to help grip it. Thanks for the tip.

I have one on my Warwick and it’s a PITA. I press into it as hard as I can with my thumb in the front and tighten it with the other hand (usually with needle nose pliers because a wrench is hard to get in there), and just go for the best I can get, which is usually snug enough to not have it spin, but it’s definitely not tight.

I have an Ibanez Portamento on the way, which will also have a barrel jack, but a much more crowded electronics cavity... oh well.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Fender made a tool to address the problem. At least with boat furiles, you could take a couple screws out and get to the Jack.

13. I think Fender's is designed for Strats.
    The outer side of the barrel jack on a Ibanez doesn't have a nut.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 3:33 PM
  14. Absolutely brilliant idea! If i was gigging more i would get one.

15. FenderB

FenderB Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Surprised someone hasn't made an adaptor shaped the same as the recess with appropriate male / female ends that would turn it into a flush jack.

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    There are specialized tools but a small pair of slip joint long nose pliers should do it. If you can get your thumb on the jack you should be able to loosen the jack nut and the same thing to keep it from turning while you remove or replace the nut. If there’s room ahead of the nut, an internal tooth lock washer would require less tightening to get the same result. When thumb pressure didn’t do it, i sanded a dowel rod in a taper so a bit of it would fit in the jack but any pressure applied bore on the finish ring so i could get enough pressure to loosen a nut, but that was the exception. I’ve had great luck using my thumb but never having one like yours i can’t say from actual experience in that config.

Matthew_84 and Killed_by_Death like this.
  17. DaveB in VA

DaveB in VA Gold Supporting Member

May 27, 2015
    Charlottesville VA
    I have a SR505 which I really like because it's so light. The jack, on the other hand is a real PITA. I usually reverse my cord when I play it. That is, I plug the 90 degree plug into my tuner pedal and the straight plug into the bass.

18. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Swing string might make a tool that would secure the output jack.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 7:16 PM
  19. i just learned that the wrong way

20. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    If I was just a little buzzed, I'd swear your bass is floating about an inch above the carpet.

Londo Molari likes this.