Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recessed Straplocks???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by iareplaythebass, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Hey folks,
    does anybody know where I could purchase a set of recessed straplocks for a bass I'm building? I really dig the "no button" look!
    Thanks
    :smug:

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I like the look too, but am a little wary of the prospect that in order to use a strap, you HAVE to have a strap with the other part on it or you are out of luck. Go to: www.allparts.com

3. www.allparts.com doesn't work.... The main pages come up fine, but all the product pages give me a 404 message.
    Anywhere else?
    Thanks

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    warwick has them. i needed new ones for my corvette and they comped them to me. i'd be wary of using them though. i've had problems with mine slipping, and it can really suck if you forget your strap one day. unless you enjoy sitting and playing.

5. Slipping? Like the button slipping or the strap part? Explain please?

Fortunately, I do enjoy sitting while i play ;)

6. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    the male part of the straplock was slipping out of the recessed part. that's why i had it replaced. it's happened a couple of times with the new one also. it may have to do with the fact that my corvette weighs a ton, but i still feel it shouldn't be an issue at all. my straps never slip on my other basses, and i have several straps with straplocks on them so i know it has to do either with the recessed inserts or the bass. hope that was clear enough.

oh yeah - you'll also notice that some warwick owners have their straps duct taped to their basses, i believe either pee-nut or sam rivers used to do that. my guess is cuz they had the same problem.

7. so the question is, is the problem with the male or female part of the straplock? I've had straplocks for 3 years and have never had a problem, then again, they werent' the recessed kind, if that makes any difference.
    I also wonder if the fact that it's a warwick is the determining factor... those things are freakin heavy! :hyper:

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    the dunlop type straplocks work for this. You just have to drill the inset. I don't like dunlops, though. they wear out too much in IME.

9. So back to my original question, where can i buy these??? :smug:

10. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I tried clicking on the allparts link in the above post and typing in the url in my browser and got the Allparts home page both times.

11. Congradulations woodboy, you've failed my test on reading for details. Their homepage comes up fine, So i click the link to catalog, comes up fine, i click to view in us dollars, comes up fine, from there on, no pages work. Thanks.

Once again, outside of allparts where else can these be purchased?

12. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    pretty ironic you should say the above as i believe i said that you can get the straplocks from warwick.