Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rechargable 9v?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tash, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Anyone know of a recharable 9v battery kit? I'm looking for something so I can stop having to buy 9vs for my active basses. Only all the rechargeables I cna find are expensive kits for every possible battery type. I just need a small kit that can charge 1 or 2 9vs at a time.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You can find these batteries at Walgreens and RadioShack and other places like that.

Word of warning, though: rechargeables usually put out a lower charge than their disposable equivalents. I believe that rechargerables only put out 7.5 volts.

3. For the sake of changing some batterys once every 6 months - year, just go disposable, cheaper in all but the 20 yr scheme of things

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I use Radio Shack rechargables for many things about the house. For my pedals, I sprung for a AC adapter. It was rather inexpensive.

I imagine you're thinking of an active electronics application? In that case, I got no exp to relay.

5. In my experiences, in other products, I found that they don't hold a charge as long as a regular battery, either. Bummer when you're on stage and your bass goes "out"! Can't change it out in the middle of a tune...

6. This can be a problem in some transistor circuits, the lower voltage isn't quite enough for some op-amps to function correctly.

7. Ahah! Thanks, Keith!

Hmmm... I think that was my point. ;)

8. I've had same experience... Some last longer than stock 9 v, but the quick sudden death gives you no warning. Regular battery just starts distorting for a while, gives you plenty of time to change it (days/weeks) before it dies. Once you hear something funny with the rechargeables, you may not be able to finish that song before it dies.

And most are either 7.2, or maybe even 8.4 volts. So the lower voltage means you're operating constantly in the "nearly dead 9 v battery voltage" for the entire life of the battery. It will affect some circuits, not so good for wireless, although I use rechargeable AA cells in my Xwire with no problem. THey last much longer than a normal night, so even though they throw the battery meter off (Xwire display lists how many hours of battery life you have left), it doesn't matter. I go from 11 to maybe 10 hours listed for a loooong time. Then it goes from 9-8-7-6 hours left in about an hours time, continuing on to rapidly impending death. But I've only gotten to that point if I forget to charge them overnight between Fri-Sat gigs. It has about a 50% chance of lasting the whole 2nd night, usually I'm in this rapidly decreasing "#hours" left situation for the last set.

I think someone DOES make a 9.6 v rechargeable in a 9v alkaline form factor now, I stumbled onto it looking for AA rechargeables with high capacity. That might work out for a wireless if it easily lasts all night long, then the sudden death at the end doesn't happen on a gig. For an inboard preamp? Bad idea, you can never avoid the sudden death. Rechargeables usually self discharge just sitting there, so leaving the bass unplugged won't prevent it from being dead when you need it. You only have to spend a few bucks on a battery every 6 months or so, just get real batteries for the bass....

Randy