1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rechargeable 9v batteries

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NickTej22, Mar 12, 2013.

1. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Picked up a set of 4 plus the charger for like $20 on Amazon. These things are great, never buy anymore batteries lol. Has anyone else thought of using them?

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

You sir are not the first.

3. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Been using high end rechargeable 9vs for the Xwire for 3+ years.

4. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I figured I wouldn't be first, but what an awesome thing lol

5. It's generally not a good idea. Rechargeable batteries are not meant to provide a steady voltage and current.

Badwater and Coolhandjjl like this.
  6. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I never heard that one, wouldn't that make cellphones and laptops etc unsafe lol?

7. You have to recharge cell phones and laptops constantly.

8. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    That's why I have 4 lol. 2 on the charger, 2 in the bass. The two in there now have lasted probably a few weeks so far though

9. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Say what?!

The downsides with regular rechargables compared to alkaline batteries are a different nominal voltage, lower capacity and a different discharge to voltage characteristic. If you're aware of that they're perfectly fine.

Badwater likes this.
  10. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    this.

rechargeables in low-drain things like basses and pedals are kinda silly; they don't hold a charge over time, so they'll die just sitting there faster than a regular alkaline will while being used! when a regular 9V lasts a year in a bass, what's the point?

rechargeables make sense for high-drain stuff that kills a regular battery in one night, like wireless units.

11. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    True. There's absolutly no point in having a rechargeable in the bass unless the pre-amp is very battery hungry.

That's the other parameter in rechargeables: the self-discharge rate, which is rather high for NiMH:s. For Lithium rechargeables it's much less of a problem.

12. Why do you want to go to all the trouble of fooling around with rechargeables? Put a regular battery in your bass and change it once a year or so. 6 months if you play a lot.

And preamps rarely are. 500mAh capacities are common for batteries, and yet active components draw currents as low as 85uA for low-power opamps (~5882 hours), and as high as a couple of milliAmps for FETs (~250-500 hours).

13. Wow. Battery lasts TWO weeks? Two? I change mine once a year and that's just to be safe.

14. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I bought them when I bought my bass which was my first active bass I owned, I wasn't aware batteries lasted that long, I never would have guessed that. Either way it was $20 bucks, they work great, I'm happy.

15. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Rechargeable batteries are different enough in several key respects (all mentioned above) that some people are going to love them and others are going to hate them. There is nothing wrong with them in this application, they are just different. If you love them then love on.

Ken

16. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i would just get tired of changing the battery in the bass every gig instead of every six months or whatever with a normal alkaline. (i use kick-butt lithium rechargeables for my wireless in-ears, and just from one weekend to the next they drain significantly while sitting in the van.)

even then a "fresh" rechargeable will only hang at maybe 8.4 volts, well below a new alkaline which will be above 9V.

17. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I've had my rechargeables in for probably over a month now, I play a couple hours a day. Still going strong. But when they do get drained(they haven't yet since I owned them) I have the other set, I can swap them out, charge them over night then I'm good for 6 months or whatever. It's the same discharge rate, same comes and everything, just rechargeable and I'm saving money lol.

18. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    same self-discharge rate as regular batteries?

19. causeBASS

causeBASS

Jun 14, 2011
    after meeting Kim Stone (played bass with Spyro Gyra) a couple years ago, he said he only uses carbon zinc batteries in his bass, he gave me a couple (i have 18v dual actives) and I have never used anything else since, find them in the dollar store , (I get mine at Big Lots, 4 for $1.90)

tighter bass, warmer sound

give them a try

20. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Good lord, what BS !!!!

Loring and ak56 like this.