Rechargeable power supply to power Zoom MS-60b (and other pedals)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DuluthDank, May 14, 2019.

1. Tommy V likes this.
  2. I use a phone charger and a usb to 9v cable to power a small board with several pedals no problem and a lot more affordable than that.

DuluthDank likes this.
  3. FatFunk

FatFunk

Jan 5, 2015
    I have used one of those rechargeable USB powerpacks with my Zoom B1On. It totally works.

4. Tommy V

Tommy V

Feb 19, 2019
    the ms-60b has a 9v jack (500mA) so you'd be good there..

the VT has a 9v jack as well, but i don't know its mA requirements.. i'm pretty sure it'll run on a 9v battery, so its mA needs should be pretty low.

the rockboard battery has two 1A outlets, so you'll have plenty of power for a few analog pedals as well.

DuluthDank likes this.
  5. Mind if I ask which charger you have? How's the battery life?

6. It's an Anker Power Core 10400 and it lasts several shows. It powers my Zoom B2 3 other pedals and a Zoom Q2HD recorder for audio only. I have a usb to 9v that powers the efx and a usb cable that powers the recorder.

dralionux and DuluthDank like this.
  7. I use this
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32841353901.html
    and send 9V to my Zoom B1Xon just fine, along with couple other pedals. Only issue with that particular device that it gives high-pitched whine into signal when current is low but plugging in zoom loads it enough for it to stop.

Plan to make board with MS-60B and leave B1Xon out as practice station, so my research tells me that MS-60B has regular 9V input. As for amperage, I measured roughly 250 mA when powering B1Xon through USB (that is 5V), so my logic tells me that at 9V it would take ~140 mA. I don't expect MS-60B to be much different, but I had to yet measure it.

DuluthDank likes this.
  8. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    DuluthDank likes this.
  9. This one impressed me. I like separation between battery and actual converter. This way if battery ever goes dead I can just buy next power bank. Or carry 2.1A usb wall power just in case of emergency.

I saw some from Mission Enginering, but they were size of regular board power supply, and cost same. This one is much more affordable.

Pulverizor likes this.
  10. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    It's quite well made for the price. I imagine the build quality on the Songbird cables is better but I'm not willing to pay their price for a cable.
    This reminds me, gotta charge my powerbank for the weekend!

ELynx likes this.
  11. This is all new to me:)

Please forgive my ignorance...
    I have an Anker power bank, a 10500 mAh one..So, I can use this power bank to power my TC Polytune3 and EBS drive?
    And to do that I only need to buy a USB to 9volt cable converter?

12. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

I use the Rockboard power supply you linked in the OP. It powers my Zoom B3 and wireless receiver. Convenient for running fewer cables underfoot. Lasts for 4 hour gigs.

ELynx and DuluthDank like this.
  13. I tried a 1spot daisy chained to multiple pedals and ran into issues of electronic noise and such that led me to get a Voodoo pedal power 2+

For those that are powering more than one pedal via a battery pack like these, do you have the same kind of problems? Or because you are battery and not grounded to the mains you can chain as many pedals as the battery will power?

DuluthDank likes this.
  14. I would like to second this question. I've heard that Daisy chaining Zoom products in particular can be noisy, so any personal accounts with that and battery packs would be appreciated.

15. Tommy V

Tommy V

Feb 19, 2019
    i don't have experience with anything made by zoom, but my digitech element xp completely freaks out when its power is daisy chained to any other pedal, no matter what supply or cable is being used.. it runs just fine on external battery pack, as long as it's power is completely isolated from everything else on my board.

16. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    +1

17. Wfrance3

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Have used an older model battery pack with both my b10n and b1x0n and it works well. I have taken it with us camping a couple times and it has lasted a few hours worth. Have also used my iPhone charger plugged in. That works too.

dralionux likes this.
  18. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Yip, make sure its polarity is centre negative though.

geesharp likes this.
  19. I use the Anker power pack with 1, 2 sometimes 3 Zoom units as well as other effects using a usb to 9v converter cable on a daisy chain and a Zoom recorder and have never had any noise issues that I could not fix by changing the signal flow or switching a cable. Zoom units used: B2, B2.1u, G1X, MS60B, MS50G, MS100Bt, B3, Q2HD (audio only). I do generally run to the Zoom pedals first in the chain and the other pedals after.

geesharp likes this.
  20. Wfrance3

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    If you use Zoom products you just use the USB x smaller USB cable. Use a battery, or an apple wall wart on the big end of the USB cable. plug the little end in where you would if you were connecting the pedal to your computer.

I discovered that worked on accident. Had my pedal hooked up to my laptop and unplugging the wall adapter. Thing was still getting power... For a minute I thought I left batteries in it. Turned out it was getting all the power it needed from the USB port on my computer.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021