Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recieved my S 4x10 Yesterday - Intial Thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 22, 2006.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Since I haven't had it very long, this won't be a review. I never understood the reviews on Harmony-Central where the poster will place something in the Reliability category along the lines of "I don't know. I've only had it three weeks." But I digress. Anyways, I recieved my Aguilar S 4x10 from Musician's Friend, and these are my initial thoughts.

First, I really liked how cosmetically appealing the cabinet is. To put it bluntly - It's a very nice looking cab. I normally prefer tolex, but the carpeting looks great. It's very short, not shaggy or puffy. You can't even tell that it's carpeted unless you're standing right next to it. I was using an Avatar 4x10 Neo until I purchased the Aggie. The Avatar is about three inches taller than the Aggie. One thing I was very happy to see is that the Aguilar came stock with removable casters. This is great if you like to take off the casters so the cab connects with the stage, or if you like to stack cabinets. The casters are of high quality. This things a breeze to push around. I'm sure we've all experienced casters that have minds of their own. You know: You push the cabinet forward put instead it goes to the left.

Sound wise - Everybody's on the money by saying that it has a lot of mids. That's great, because I'm a mids-freak. Some say that it lacks in the lows department. No, it doesn't have the huge lows of those old Peavey 2x15 cabinets, but whenever I hear people talk about a cab having lots of lows, the two words that come to my mind are "mud" and "boom". I think that the cabinet it perfectly voiced. I remember someone (I think Ivanmike) compared the sound to the older SWRs, and I think that's an accurate comparison. I really, really like the tweeter. It's smooth sounding and makes my slapping and pick playing really sing. The cabinet has a lot of low-mid growl when I play it fingerstyle.

My power amp seems to work very well with this cabinet. With the Avatar, I would clip with my gained turned slightly past a quarter. With the Aggie, I had my gained turned up almost full and it didn't show any signs of going into the red. I don't know if this is due to more efficient speakers or because I'm running the amp at 8 ohms with the Aggie as opposed to 4 ohms with the Avatar. The cabinet handled the power and my B string very well, no signs of farting or clipping. The low-mid growl really spoke with authority when I put some serious juice into the cab. I'd compare it to an Ampeg...but with definition (sorry, I'm not an Ampeg fan. ;) ).

I have two gigs this weekend, so I'll be putting it through the test. I really can't comment on the volume as of now, but I'm confident that it will push enough on stage. Anyways, the point is that I'm very impressed with this cabinet, and I wouldn't mind having two. :D The only cabinet that I've played so far that I prefer over the Aggie would be an Ede XLS.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm glad to hear that the Aggie has the SWResque sound I like. My 810 should be here any day now.
    :hyper: