1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

reclaimed wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ii7-V7, Apr 8, 2006.

1. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Does anyone know anything about the reclaimed wood business?

Specifically how is it that they go about finding thier wood sources?

Chad

2. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    OK, perhaps this seemed like a stupid quesiton and thats why it didn't get answered. Still, I'd like to know how one locates a supply for recliamed wood. Do you just have to be in the business of demolishing houses and churches?

Chad

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I know one thing. I look at every old door, headboard, table etc.in a different way than I used too.

Frederiek likes this.
  4. For quite awhile, I've actually been searching for 1950s-era Honduran Mahogany in the form of tables....to scavenge to make a dead-on 50s Les Paul replica. Problem is...not too many 50 year old 7/4 tables out there....

The only other "reclaimed" woods that I know are used in lutherie are old-growth lumber salvaged from lake and river bottoms (maple from Lake Superior, redwood from CA rivers, etc), and 50,000 year old Kauri from New Zealand peat bogs.

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    There are furniture companies up in New England that specialize in reclaimed wood. They must have connections in order to get old barn wood because it seems that is what they mostly use. There are lots of old delapitated barns there and so it may just be a matter of driving around looking for them. One barn certainly produces a lot of lumber.

There is also the route of water salvage. That is more a matter of knowing where the lumber travelled down the rivers and into lakes, knowing where it might be deep/cold enough to preserve it, doing the surveying, getting the permits, and having the equipment.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    In the classifieds in my local sunday newspaper I've seen ads in the "building materials" section, from people who were knocking down barns and looking for buyers for the wood.

Here's one site that sells domestic and exotic reclaimed timber:
    http://www.terramai.com/index.html

7. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the info. I have alway sbeen curious about how they find this kind of wood. It seems that there is more to that a hobbyist can probably do in a busy week.

Chad

8. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    im just a hobby builder but this is thing that always fascinated me.. what i've red and listened.. all those great necks and stuff built from what served someone for 150 years as a desk or a main door. has a huge amount of mysticism to me ! i try to keep my eyes open but my lucky turn has to come yet.. i hope ;;

cheers, mike

9. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  10. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hi there, what kind of bass is in your avatar? I like the shape and finish. Thanks!

11. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I'm pretty sure he built that one. He's not been round these parts for some time now, and I see he last logged in in Jan of this year... I bet there is a thread of that build around here somewhere... :D

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thanks!

Beej likes this.
  13. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Back to the original topic... 12 years later...

Reclaimed is still my favorite way to build. I either source scraps, old furniture, deadwood logs, driftwood, or scavenge other instruments. I guess I'm a reduce, reuse, upcycling kind of dude.

Any other ideas for reclamation building? :)

alaskaleftybass likes this.