1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Reco for Hellcat VI Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kenstee, Oct 10, 2009.

1. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Looking for an amp reco for a Hellcat VI. Want to get something small for in-home/practice. Any suggestions?

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    You are one cross-postin' dude. :D

I just saw this over at HC. Amps aren't really bass-specific...any good small amp will work. ;)

3. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Sorry to violate prime directive ;-)

Anyway, was concerned a smaller speaker say 8" might blow out. There seem to be both guitar and bass smaller/practice amps. Was curious which one I'd be better off with given the Hellcat VI. Any specific suggestions would be welcome!

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    The Roland bass cubes are nice little amps. The Ampeg BA112 has some fans.

5. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks will check 'em out.......

6. Any amp that's good for bass will work fine. There's no special needs for a Hellcat VI.

7. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks. Looking in the $100-$200 area.

Given the dynamics of the Hellcat VI I was wondering if I'd get more range with a guitar rather than bass amp OR if a bass amp would be the best option tone-wise.

8. Kestrel

Kestrel

Sep 21, 2009
    Trust me, you'll be much happier playing your Schecter Hellcat VI through a bass amp. Lot's of practice amp options in the $100-$200 range. For home/practice I play my Hellcat VI through a 35 watt Peavey Max 112. Sounds really good and they usually go for about $199 new. Probably the best bang for the buck in solid state practice amps right now would be the Acoustic B20 which sells for $149 brand new. Whatever you decide upon is up to you, buy stay away from anything that says Behringer on it!!

9. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks. Also, I saw some practice amps that have some effects (flanger, chorus, delay etc.) built in. How are they? Looked to be a nice option vs. getting some Boss-type stomp boxes. More oriented towards Cure/New Wave/Ambiant type sounds than surf, baritone-type sound.

Any real difference (aside from $50) between the 35 watt Peavey Max 112.and the Acoustic B2?

10. Kestrel

Kestrel

Sep 21, 2009
    I personally prefer to use individual effects pedals over built in effects on amps. Not to say they're all bad, it's just that I prefer to have more control over an individual effect than have to deal with only a limited amount of effect control offered by most built in amp effects. The only practice bass amps with built in effects I've messed around with are the Roland Cube 30 and the Micro Cube Bass RX. Both a bit over your $200 limit, but they sound good and are fun to play with the different effects.

I'm a HUGE fan of The Cure myself and the Schecter Hellcat VI will definitely get you those Robert Smith tones. Set the pickup switch towards the neck pickup, then play it through chorus and delay effects and you'll be in "Disintegration" territory.

As to the Peavey Max 112/Acoustic B20 comparison. The Peavey is louder and gives you a bit more low end because of the vent design of the cabinet. It has has two voicings (modern and vintage which emulates a tube amp). Also has a bit of compression which I like. The Acoustic B20 sounds good though and is more than adequate for a practice/bedroom amp, plus it has 2 input jacks whereas the Peavey only has one. One of my friends bought an Acoustic B20 from GC and I was impressed with it when I tried it. I think it's a great sounding practice amp for the price.

11. I like to run both a bass amp and a guitar amp, I run a cable from the tuner out of my Markbass LMII and into the input of a Vox Valvetronix 50-watt combo. I turn down the highs somewhat on the bass head, and turn down the lows on the guitar amp. I hardly have to turn the volume up on the Vox in order for the highs and high mids to come through.

12. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks! Which chorus and delay effects pedals do you use?

13. Kestrel

Kestrel

Sep 21, 2009
    I use an Electro-Harmonix Small Clone for Chorus and for delays I use an Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai.

14. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    These look great! But, anything on the lower end for those of us on a more modest budget?

15. Kestrel

Kestrel

Sep 21, 2009
    You mean pedals? What kind of budget are you looking at? A couple of good lower cost pedals to consider would be the Danelectro CC-1 Cool Cat Chorus which costs around $50 and the Ibanez DE7 Digital Delay priced at about $70. You could probably find some used Boss or Digitech pedals in and around that price range too. Also, if you're just looking for an inexpensive stomp box to mess around with until you upgrade to something better you could look at a multi-effects unit like the Digitech RP55. That one will set you back about $50 and has a bunch of various effects. Plastic housing on the RP55, but it'll do the job if you want something just to practice with.

16. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Pedals? yes! Thanks for the recos!

17. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Eden Nemesis has some cool smaller amps in your price range. You could also get a Hartke B30 for around $150.

18. kenstee

kenstee

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks! Anyone out there have experience with either of these? Opinion?