1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recognicing pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dadodetres, Mar 27, 2006.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Hello! Anybody knows what pups are these? the seller of the bass says they ar Dimarzio. But dont know what model, also, if anyone has some experience and can tell me if they are good or any other input.

thansk!

Frontbody.

2. These white/creme/ could be DiMarzio "J" pickups, but on the picture seems wrong placed - opposite. The bridge pickup (longer one) is on the place where the neck one should be.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'd say they're DM J's for sure. Looks like someone bought a set, put the bridge one in regular position and then decided to squeeze the neck pickup in there. It's a bit of an odd decision, since neck pickups are typically wound less than bridge pickups.

4. I agree. In sevethies I had these DM´J on my bass. After some time disliked the fat tone and came back to single pickups.
    In that times many bassist here went to this combination: DM bridge (humbucking) pu + stock neck (singlecoil) pu. For me it was a bit strange sounding. The bass on the picture must be a beast sounding.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    will thes pups (both or only 1) can help me get the Jazz soloed bridge sound from this P ?

6. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    It depends on how they are wired up. Im not sure what the knobs or both switches do.

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Im planning on re.wiring it anyway.

8. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Someone's been listening to too much Allman Brothers.

9. I don't know about the pickups, but it looks like a terrible routing job!

:eek:

10. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Why?
    does the bassist has the same bass moded the same way? i can give them a listen for s reference on sound.... which song do you recomend me for this?

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you use only the bridge J, then no reason why not. I think you're going to find the neck J in the position next to bridge very overpowering.

12. The damage w/o a way back...

13. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    DO you mean carving the wood? or setting up cables and electronics?

14. I mean both cavities - carving the wood. A long time ago (in my youth) I made simmilar mistake - added P pickup to my JB copy (instead stock J neck pickup). Had to carve bigger cavity for P pickup and after some time had been terribly sorry for that! Lately I disliked the sound and went back to J neck pickup, so had to hide the bigger hole under the pickguard...It was difficult to sell that damaged bass.

15. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    All these things are true, but a grand for this bass is a good price here in the south. Nearly all standard P or J`s i tryed (90`s 00`s) were very light in weigh and in tone. And ALL heavy Fenders i tryed sounded as REAL Fenders. This bass being heavy is a some kinf of guaranty i have.

As far for the pup placing....... mmmmm........ i guess i have to try it before saying anything....

thans guys