Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recomed a bass < $1200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shaz, Dec 12, 2004.

1. Ok, i am looking to get a new bass. max i am willing to spend is1200
    i
    have been looking a lot into american fender jazz basses, i really love the way they sound.
    the tone i am looking for is a really warm full sound, but i also wanna be able to get some growl

what are some other good basses that i should be looking at

my main band is blues/rock, but i also have a few side projects so i need to be versatile

thanks

2. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think you're on the right track - would be good to try the Lakland, too. Same price range and people seem to prefer them to the Fenders in some cases. I tried both and brought home a Fender, myself - got a cherry one, I think. For $1200, you should be able to get one and drop in a great set of pickups for the money you're talking.

You can't beat a good Jazz Bass IMHO.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It sounds llike you already know what you want. Get the Fender. A good USA Fender is a great bass, I almost pulled the trigger on a really pretty burnt orange Jazz with the S-1 swtich a few months ago.

4. are you looking for a 4 string? with that budget, you are in the "reissue" or deluxe range for Fender, especially with an aggressive dealer.

5. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    If you love Jazz basses a used Lull is the way to go. You can get them on ebay for $1000.00-$1500.00. I almost bought a mint burgundy mist with Brazilian rosewood board on ebay. It sold for under $1200.00. It will blow away EVERY brand new Fender.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Many good basses are to be had around the $800 mark. Geddy Lee jazz bass is a gem as well.

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    You might check out the Peavey Cirrus line. I just recently discovered them, and now I'm jonesing for one big time. Definitely a lot more high-end than most Peavey stuff is considered to be. They've got great warmth, and I found them to be very versatile too.

8. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    If all else fails you can pick up a new Ric 4003 for about $1,000....pretty good price!

9. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    and i was just gonna say that. about 6-10 of every fender MIA jazz/precision i have played were horrible and not were the $900 tag.and i have yet to play a bad rickenbacker...

10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I've owned a lot of high end J basses, Sadowsky's, Lull, Fender, etc.. Today I played a KSD(Ken Smith Design) and was blown away!! Better than most basses 3 times the money. Can be had for about $700. Check them out!

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    The tones you're describing are mostly subjective so it's hard to point you in the right direction.

I really really like the Geddy Lee bass though, even stock. If your budget is $1200, you can get one and mod it to your heart's content.

You might also try a G&L. I know it's not a Jazz but it's a great bass. Any Lakland axe is a good suggestion too.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I should put in a word for USA Peavey Millenniums. I had a four and now own a five. They are currently discontinued but can be found new at discounted prices. I see many used ones on Ebay also. These are great basses with a build quality equivalent to a Musicman or G&L bass. The Millennium can get a Jazz like tone or a P-bass tone. It can get close to a Musicman also. The fours can be had new for $500-600. I have seen new fives running between $700-900. This is good since they were originally $1,100-1,400 basses.

13. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I'll second that on the G&L. Model L-2000.Great basses!! Especially the earlier ones. You can find a good used one for around $600.

14. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    A used Pedulla Rapture should definitely be on your short list.

15. Panther

Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Aside from a stingray 4 or 5, the Bongo is fantastic. I tried one out this weekend, and that bass has a LOT of sounds. I'm not sure how they are priced in the US, but one that may be slightly used would be an excellent bass if yo ucould get one for 1200..

I have a Stingray 5, and use it for everything. Sound guys love them as well as they just sound so nice.

I'm not sure you can get a better dollar for dollar value in a bass. Lots of pros use'em-just watch any music channel or concert and you can spot them everywhere!

16. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I'd say go Fender, too. The Marcus Miller is a fantastic bass, and very versatile, tone-wise. I've had mine for 3 or 4 years. i've toured and recorded with it. I put a Bartolini pre-amp in it, but otherwise it's great, stock.
    I'll also put in for the G&L L2000. I've had one since 1986, and have used it in every possible situation, and it has served me beautifully. It's a real workhorse, with a great mix of tones, and a great feel.

17. yeah, bass player really liked them. i would love to check out the 60s five string. do they seem like korean-made basses?

18. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    My fender 5 string american active dlxe. for sale in the sale section.

danman

19. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003

Didn't feel Korean at all. I played the ash body/maple neck model. MUCH better the the Fender Marcus Miller. Better than most Fenders from that '70's era. I saw where Ken Smith is trying to make the quality even better in wood selection so I'm anxious to see what he comes up with in the near future.

20. I thought they were nice as well, but they did seem like a Korean bass. Nice for the money.

I think you would be really happy with a Trace Elliot T-Bass. It will blow away all of the Fender, KSD, G&L, and Laklands that people are mentioning. I have one (I did have two) and it is my main bass -- over my Peavey Cirrus, Pedulla Buzz, and Fender American Standart Jazz. They are incredibly well made!

Bass Palace has a real slick looking all black one for less than $1000 right now. I guarantee you will be blown away! I even had a guy offer to trade me straight up for his Sadowsky Metro -- it wasn't even close! Not Kidding!