Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recomend a head for EA cxl-112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Just wondering if there seemes to be any particular head or pre/power setup that works particularly well with the EA cxl-112. One that really brings out the tight low's and works well at keeping the volume up. I'm looking for something tight, clear and versatile, reggea-rock-funk and a little country-folk are what I'd like to cover. What heads should I keep my eyes open for. I'm thinking about going for something fairly portable, but would consider a pre-power setup for the extra power, a head with a min of 500w would be a nice starting point. Price, not much more than $1000 used, and cheaper's O.K..

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Thunderfunk?

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City

Remove the question mark and I'll give that post a +1

I use a TFB with either a cxl-112 or a nl-210 (and both if I'm feelin frisky). The 'funk has no problems driving my cxl-112 as hard as it'll take. Listening to that combination, I frequently forget that my cxl-112 is "just a 112".

4. That is definatly one amp I've been meaning to try, but It's hard to find good music stores within an hours drive from where I'm at, probably would take 2hrs to Toronto and I don't want to wast time when I get there. Anyway, thanks I'm now on the hunt, Keep em' commin'.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I own an iAMP500. It sounds great with my Epifani's, but much better with the cab you have. Like peanut butter and jelly, EA amps and cabs are made for each other.

-Mike

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Another vote for an Iamp 500 or 800.

7. Now I do have 2 cxl's so would I probably be better off with the 800?

8. I use either an iAMP 800 or a MarkBass Little Mark II with my cxl112s

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

10. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I use a Thunderfunk TFB420EU and an Eden WT800B with the CXL (bi-amp'd drivin the lows when plugged into the Eden). It works well with both these set ups. I think the cab is so neutral that it will allow the character of any decent head to shine through so maybe you should think more of what head manufacturers you like the sound of

11. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I missed this. I would definately consider an Eden WT800 (the B version if you can find one used) as this would sound awesome bi-amp'd into two CXL's. I'm thinking of getting a second one myself.

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    As of this weekend I'll be powering my single cxl112 with an Iamp800.

So +1 for the Iamp

13. alanbass, so you find that these cabinets work well with the eden heads, because I've found that eden heads don't seem powerful and loud with just any cab, and this is actually one of my concerns with considering eden. Because I already know the tone, and it's great, but.

14. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Well, I have the WT800B which pumps out nearly 300 watts at 8ohms when bi-amp'd. If you choose to use the WT800B in bridge mono, it will deliver 1100 watts at 4ohms into the two EA's.

As for volume 'in the room', I have the Eden feed the EA at around <300 hz and my Epifani T210UL (4 ohm) cab takes everything above 300 hz. I rarely run the master volume of the Eden above the 11 o'clock position, and the crossover balance slightly biased to the EA cab. This is plenty loud enough with great control and dynamics. Anything louder (indoors) and the drums have to be mic'd, which means bass gets mic'd as well. I was thinking of a second EA CXL as two EAs will fit in the trunk of my car along with the amp whereas the Epifani travels on the back seat, so it is more convenient. Also, if I play outdoors (which I do on the odd occassion), I could use both the EA's for the lows, which will allow the Eden to deliver 440watts into them, and have the Epifani powering the upper mids/highs, again at 440 watts. This will also give more 'surface area' of speakers to help fill the stage in these instances.

What impresses me most about the EA is it has no discernable mid hump which, to my ears, help make the low notes stand out and sound, well just deeper if that makes any sense.

15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I'd first recommend getting the iAmp 800, then second I'd recommend getting rid of the CXL112 and getting a Berg HT112. Sounds much better than the CXL112 IMO(I just A/B'd the 2 cabs with the iAmp 10 minutes ago).

16. That is the particular characteristic of the cxl-112 that I enjoy the most, it's deep punchya in the guts low with the clarity, the clear as a bell highs. I don't notice this lack of low mids that people seem to associat with this cab, I mostly just hear a mid hump in the other cabs IMHO not a muddy cab. So no thanks reefer, I like the cxl-112 for now, maybe next time I need a cab change I'll consider.

So it seems to be that iamp's getting the biggest push, I can't wait to try one out. Also is there a place to demo a thunderfunk in Toronto, London, or Kitchner/Waterloo? Anyone?

17. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    minor hijack. whats the street price for a cxl112 ?

18. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Contact TBs own Steve Clark at The Bassment in London. I bought a cab from Steve and highly recommend going to him first.

http://thebassment.ca/

19. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    For whatever it's worth (which admittedly isn't much) I traded in my iamp 800 for a tfb 550. I prefer it (obviously) through the cxl-112 as well as the nl-210. The iampXXX/cxl-112 definitely play nicely with each other though. Try every head you're interested in, and some you are not, through that cab. Might find one clicks for you that you didn't expect.

20. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Agree that the TF sounds great with the CXL. Also, yeah, hawk your CXL around to as many dealers as possible and trry as much as possible through the cab.