Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recomend a thin neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, Apr 30, 2003.

1. the doctor says i shouldn't play a six string. my left wrist is completely screwed up. doing tests for carpal tunnel/tendenitus blah blah blah...

anyway, it looks like i need to change to the thinnest necked bass i can get my crippled hands on.

any recomendations?

2. Soundgear or Cirrus.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Sweetstick.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Get a Carvin with a tung-oiled neck. The neck on the new Timothy Schmidt model is even narrower than their ordinary neck.

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Soundgears have very thin necks.

6. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Thin... as in Narrow? or Flat?

Narrow would be the width of the neck, and the flatness will be the depth

If you want "Narrow" necks, get Soundgears

If you want FLAT necks, go for Cirruses, Zons

"The Thickness of the neck has nothing to do with your playing" - Billy Sheehan

D

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Music Man Sterling. All things considered, the best thin necked non-custom bass IMO.

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Going against the flow here (and most any other recommendation I'd make...), I picked up a Tobias Toby Pro in a local store one day, just for kicks... that thing had an amazing neck, very thin front to back, near jazz width.. If I'd been shopping for a bass to buy at the time, it may have gone home with me. Nice bass for the price.

9. I agree - Ibanez Soundgears have very thin necks.

10. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Curbow, nothing like those baseball-bat-like Warwicks (not that they aren't good basses).

11. how is the size of the sterling neck in comparison to soundgears?

12. uh um,,,Fender Jazz....um kay!

13. i'm lookin for something narrow.
    and i had a countdown on when someone would say "fender jazz"...FDB, you are the big winner. buy yourself a hot dog!

i like the depth on my soundgear, but it's a six string. i don't own a four string. never have.

thanks for the direction, folks!

14. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    I like modulus basses I find the necks skinny and very easy access to the point that I don't have to put down my thumb on the back when I play. the other bass I have that has a very skinny and then neck is the Dean Rhapsody. Say what you will some Deans are ok. this is one

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I own a Cirrus 4, A Soundgear 5, and a Jazz 4.

Coincidence, or something more sinister... you decide. :D

FWIW, I'd recommend any of them, but the Cirrus has about the easiest neck I've ever played.