1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recomend me a capable 4x4

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My Jeep is getting really old and starting to have issues that cost actual money.

I know I've made a thread like this before, but this time I think I might actually do it and get something else.

Required - good out of the box with little modification capable 4 wheel drive

Pros
    4 seats
    good gas mileage (I know, but really, I'm not drunk right now)
    comes in black

Cons
    poor reliability is not an option.

2. my 95 grand cherokee seats more than 4, gets okay mileage (its not drunk, but it is fully loaded ;) ), comes in black (mines in gray), and is very reliable. it did not come in a box, though.

3. Old Jeep?? Mine is almost 27 years old. It might be old but it's slow too :D

My daugher just bought a 5 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's LOADED with a V8, leather, etc. I love the damn thing. I'm looking for one now. Just an overall, well thought out vehicle. They sell TONS of aftermarket 4X4 gear for them as well.

4. Cherokee. regular.

5. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Define good gas mileage.

I'd look at an Xterra. They're good out of the box and there are tons of aftermarket parts.

6. +1 I need a V8 to pull the boat, otherwise I'd consider one. They are a good, very reliable vehicle. I might pick one up for my son. He doesn't need a V8 :rollno:

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    The new 4 door Wrangler is great, but I know they had some engine computer problems, and I'm not sure if they've been worked out. But it definitely has some great off road potential.

The Toyota Tacoma and Nissan Frontier crew cabs are also very nice, and have very solid reliability.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    2001ish Pathfinders were reliable as anything, looked great, and IIRC we got about 27-28 mpg highway out of them.

9. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    What is your price range? Do you want a pickup or SUV? What will you be doing with it? Mud, Trails, snowy roads?

10. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    my 2003 CR-V is all wheel drive when it needs to be if that what you're looking for, and it's amazing... gas mileage is like a car, strong and safe, easy to maintain, visibility is great, comfortable, more room than any jeep. What else?

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I had good luck with a Cherokee back inthe 90's. It was the boxy stripped down, straight 6 model. Pulled around 4000 nicely - except for stopping - and hat was with trainler brakes. It's just kinda light and has 4 traditional binders, not disks ...

These days I don't tow but I deal with Mountain snow - a lot. So we have 2 Subaru Outbacks. I like 'em a lot.

12. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    When a Jeep owner asks about vehicles with "capable 4 wheel drive", I really doubt the CR-V is what they are looking for.;)

Of course, I could be wrong.

13. They have rear drum brakes, front disks, not 4 wheel drum brakes. Even my 82 has front disks. My old CJ5 had 4 wheel drum brakes, that was scary.

14. Yup.

15. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    if you want a reliable and capable 4x4 as a daily driver too, i recommend an Isuzu Rodeo or Trooper. i've seen them climb things using 4 cylinders, 31" tires, and sometimes a 3" body lift that a few CJs and Cherokees with 8" lifts and 35" tires couldn't. they can tow quite a bit too, considering the biggest engine is a 3.5L (2nd gen Troopers). cheap parts to be had too, since there's not enough demand.
    the biggest con i can think of is the fact that the alternators are mounted pretty low, so if you like to go through deep mud, either get something else, or move the alternator. and don't use an impact wrench when fitting wheels- bye bye lug bolts.
    also, you can replace the wheels with 6x5.5 bolt pattern toyota and/or nissan wheels. plus, they come with a fully boxed frame and skid plates galore from the factory.

edit: i prefer the V6 though- Rominee is right about the 4cyl engines. also, "once a jeep owner, always a jeep owner" probably applies here.

16. I've always found the Rodeo & the smaller sibling the Amigo with the 4 cylinder to be dreadfully underpowered especially with the larger tires...they just aren't geared well for upsizing tires. Good around town banger with the 4, but not for heavy 4x4 use.

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I love my Pathfinders (I've had a 92) and currently have a 97 with 229000 on it. Still going strong. They are very capable off road, in the same class with the 4runner and the Cherokee. They have a reasonable amount of space and are well laid out. Having said all of this I have never gotten CLOSE to 27-28 mpg with one. If I get 20 on the highway I'd be surprised. Is your commute downhill both ways?:D

You have one problem, Capable off road and good gas millage are contradictions. The extra height, weight of HD components, and beefier suspension parts tend to destroy gas milage especially with more engine low end. The best are probably the Jeep Wranglers (but their small and don't have great reliability records). My next choice would be the Nissan Xterra (very good off road). The frustrating thing is that you don't gain much millage between the mid-sizes (Pathfinders) and the smaller vehicles. About the best (off road capable machines) get 20-21 mpg hwy. And most of the larger mid-sizes are in the 18-20 range.

18. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

Toyota Tacoma.

Preferably a 98-2004....

Get the TRD package.

And then have fun following jeeps with thousands of dollars in mods with your stocker.

Jeep guys really hate wheeling with my.

1992 Toyota Pickup 4x4
    3.0 V6
    265/70/16 dueler ats
    KN intake

Thats it.

Follows jacked up jeeps no problem at all.

19. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    X-Terra is better than most give it credit for & are reasonably priced.

20. This has been my experience as well Mike.:D