1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recomend me some things to practice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by funkybass, Sep 28, 2008.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    I've been playing for a year or so now, but just started to really practice(other than just learning songs). I'll usually start with some arrgeggios, move to scales, some sight reading, and then i'll try to figure out some songs from cd's. What are some other things I can practice to really accellerate my bass playing?

2. Connor

Connor

Jun 21, 2007
    Jawjuh
    writing music
    playing with a metronome

3. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd if you are practicing all that with a metronome and focusing on your time then its a good combo. Sightreading be sure practice just clapping rhythms and training the eye to spot beats within a measure and familiar rhythms. Since you read music then try some writing some simple bass lines without your bass, then play them. That help pull together your theory, ear, and learning to play what you hear in your head.

4. brivello

brivello

Jun 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    arpeggios in all inversions would be good. Also, practicing playing intervals up different scales.

For example if you were going to do 3rds on a Bb Major Scale you would play

Bb-D-C-Eb-D-F-Eb-G-F-A-G-Bb-A-D-Bb

and fourths up a major scale would be,

Bb-Eb-C-F-D-G..ect.

and after you've done all intervals on all scales, you can take intervals up other intervals

For example if you were going to play major thirds increasing by minor thirds starting on G you would get

G-B-Bb-D-Db-F-Fb-Ab..ect.

Good luck

*edit* dont forget a metronome

5. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana

I was actually a drummer for 5 years before I started playing bass, so i'm very familar with different rythms, and I do practice with a metronome. Thanks for the advice.