Recomend some "bedroom" Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oldie but noobe, Mar 2, 2005.

1. I just got my first Bass. An Old 5 string Peavey Dyna bass. I want an amp that I can get all the tones at bedroom levels. I live in an appartment. I usually buy used. So something in the 200.00-300.00 used.

I like Blues and 70s Classic rock/Funk :bassist: . I am 55 and just starting.

I have no clue where to start with practicing, so I will be posting for that kind of help too. :help:

2. It will surprise nobody here to hear me recommend a used (or even a new) Ashdown Mag 2x10T Combo.

Compact, versatile, good quality and great value for money. IMHO :) :)

You should *definitely* try a few different brands though as it is a VERY subjective question. One mans meat etc etc.

Good luck with your search.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, the Ashdown Pefect 10 MiniRig is under $300 new, and features a seperate 65 watt head and two 1x10 cabs. I haven't heard one, but it seems like a pretty nice setup for the money.

Perfect Ten MiniRig
  4. Yes.

Kind of intriguing aint it? ;)

I look forward to seeing a detailed review once someone has had the chance of putting one through it's paces.

It certainly looks the part, for sure. :) :)
  5. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Used Ampeg B100r.
  6. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    My favorites;

roland bass cube 30 or 60
    ampeg ba 12
    hartke kb 112

all under $300 used and are small.
  7. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Ampeg B100R for sure. I just got one & could not be happier. It is my bedroom/practice amp & I record with it now & then.
    Fat sound, great look, fair price.

Used all day long onEbay in your price range.
  8. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I was trying to talk this guy at the pawn shop to move the price down on what he is asking for a Peavey Minx 110. That sounded pretty decent.
    Instead I preordered from zZounds the Behringer 3000T 300W head ($150) and will get an Avatar SB112 cabinet($199+S&H)

I don't like getting from ebay because I'd rather hear something first if I am going to get used to see what condition it is in.
  9. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I would avoid a freestanding floor model and go with a smaller one you could put on a nightstand.

Avoid ones with multiple use switches and go with a simple on/off switch.

Some are just too fancy and thus might be too loud for your room, but that would depend on the color scheme of your bedroom and how you decorate.

You would want something that you can read by, but yet not overwhelm the room if you watch TV in there. A word of warning though, some women prefer to have them off during sex.

Oh wait...I thought your thread was about bedroom lamps. My mistake.

Still, some of my recommendations still might apply. :)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    :eek: :eek: {gasp} :eek: :eek:

Jus' kiddin' bassic... Ashdown is one of most mentioned combos here (and with good reason).

My suggestion would be to do a search in the amps forum using your desired qualities as parameters... then check out the "for sale" stuff in the TB classifieds or on the 'Bay.
  11. Thanks, I will be checking arround. Ashdown and Ampeg seem to come up a lot in the posts.

I just saw a Ampeg 250 porta base today in a pawn shop, but the price was toooo much 599.00
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    SWR Workingman's 12 combo.
  13. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The Ampeg B50-R would give a good vintage bang for the buck. If you're talking bedroom only, the 100-R would be over-kill IMO.
  14. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The B-100R is not really that small of an amp, either. Nice amp, but a little much for this job.

I got a new Ampeg BA-112 on sale at GC for $159.99 a few months ago on during a big sale and it's a perfect bedroom amp.

Check the page.
  15. john b carvalho

john b carvalho Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2001
    B15N,I actually have one in my bedroom which doesn't bother my wife.She says the house would not be the same without an amp in each room.

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You could get the same bedroom amp that I have: A nice stereo. :help: :p
  17. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    ampeg ba112
  18. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Johnson J-Station and a pair of headphones.
  19. I agree that the B100R is a great amp but too much for the bedroom. Get the B50R, you can't go wrong.