1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recomend strings to me?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by goodtimejonny, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Hey, so I'm a beginner upright jazz player. I'm in the market for some new strings. Before you tell me to check out the strings stickies, I already did.

I'm looking for some strings for my DB that give me that very nice mwah. Also, if these strings didn't carry too much tension. That's as close as I can get to describing it. I play pizz and a little arco. Tomorrow I will try to upload an example of what I am looking for. In the mean time, could anyone recomend something like that?

Thanks in advance,
    -Jon

2. Spiro Weichs. Welcome to the darkside, unfortunatly we all have searched for the right string. It's a long, expensive process.

Good luck and have fun,

Mike

3. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    what mike da mook said--spiro weichs. Relatively low tension, articulate tone, lots of growl. Spiros in general are more or less the default string for jazz. You might not end up playing them, but you'll need to try them sooner or later.

In the spiros Weichs (lights) have less tension than Mittels (mediums, which have less tension than Starks.

Spiros are bowable but they don't give the sweetest sound at first. On my bass, the weichs are a little easier to bow than the mittels. They have a nicer sound than the mittels on my bass as well--more "bounce."

The spirocore weichs will give you exactly want you want

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Definitely Weichs.

An alternative (for me at least) would be Pirastro Flat Chromesteel (not flat chromes).

5. I guess you meant (not the Original Flatchromes) ?

6. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    No Francois, he's talking about the Flat Chromesteel which is a totally different string than the Original FlatChrome as you probably already know. They are not a related string other than the similar sounding name.

7. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Actually, I think you're both right: I've heard the Flat Chromesteel referred to as "flatchromes," and the Flat Chromes referred to as the "original flatchromes." I'm not sure if it's redundant or if there is some previous renaming that went on.

Just to clarify for others, I'm referring to the "Flat Chromesteel" strings rather than the "Original Flatchrome" strings. It may be just me, but the Original Flatchromes didn't do much for me pizz/arco.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm using the not-often-talked-about-but-been-around-forever Pirastro Jazzers right now and am quite happy with them. They've been on my bass since August, which is a long time for me to have 4 matching strings on my bass. I like them a lot better than I liked weiches on my bass, to my ears.

I need to try Medium Gauge Spirocores on my bass at some point, but those are higher tension.

I really liked solo gauge Spirocores tuned down for a while, but they can be significantly lower in tension depending on your set up.

Weiches are a good suggestion, FCS's, Jazzers, someone will mention Corellis then....

Pick one and go with it or join the afflicted in the search.

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    +1 on the FCS (rather than OFCS :)). I've had them on for a while now and they're awesome all around strings. Good if you want a stringy sound.

10. IanAllison

IanAllison Supporting Member

May 27, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Hey there,

I had a set of Helicore Pizz on my bass and it had growl and sustain for DAYS. Really a cool set of strings.

HOWEVER - a drag to bow and they tend to thin out up high.

Spiros are great - I've played a few basses with them and currently have a Stark (heavy) E. It's huge with a great fundamental - but maybe not as "mwah-y" as the lighter gauges.

You ought to check out Thomastik Dominants too. I have them on my bass for the A, D, and G and they're just wonderful. A great compromise of bowability and jazz growl.

Ian

11. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Who the heck are you calling "HAIRBASS?"

12. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Sorry, Fuqua'ism gone wrong. I forgot why I used that. Usually I name you after a villain from "The Tick". :)

13. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    +whatever on Weich. I can't get those things to stop growling. Guts are the double bass sound of the first half of the 20th Century(like pre '50something) and Spirocores either Weich or Mittel are the sound for the last 40 or so years.

Peanut head is correct. It's smart to play on spiros for at least some period of time to know how they fit into the history of Jazz DB sound. You may eventually move away from them one way or another but it is the defacto standard that must be understood so any departure has context.

I'd play spirocores for at least my first year.

14. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

:D

15. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I'll put in another vote for the Thomastik Dominants.

16. So it seems that the general consensus is the Spiro Weichs. I'm thinking that I will go with those. Thanks a bunch everybody.

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Be patient with them.... they sound real bright and zingy for awhile. They hit their stride after they've been on the bass for awhile.

18. Also would anyone know of a place that I would be able to buy upright strings? There is a music store where I live, but the charge an extreme mark up. I live in Tracy, California, it's close to Stockton if you know where that is.

19. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    You do have an awesome bass store in California, Lemur Music. I live in Florida and I usually buy things like rosin, strings, and other gear from them as I did when I lived in Texas. They have a great reputation and they have always had great service, prices and selection. You should plan on visiting there sometime, but if you don't want to drive, they have excellent mail order service and a very good online store.