Recomendations / floor monitor speaker

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by willwonka, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Quick question guys,

I am looking for a good or decent floor monitor speaker, for vocals and guitar (guitar not bass), at the moment I got a couple of cheap "profile" monitors, but they sound empty and hollow, I am thinking of using them... one for the other guitar player, and the other for the drummer, but I would like to get a decent good sounding monitor for myself.

If you guys have any recomendations that you like or use, please let me know.....

Thanks in advance
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

What's your budget? That's critical before I can begin to make suggestions.
  3. Budget....! aprox 300 to 500, dont want to overpay for something I wont be able to hear a difference on, but wiling to go higher if there will be a considerable difference.

Sorry for the late reply, I have been out of the office for the last week.

4. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Check out Dayton monitors. They are decent, and could be had for around $300 a pair. They use Eminence speakers, they are relatively lightweight, and can handle around 250W.

They are loud enought for most gigs, and work well for vocals, guitar and bass. Sometimes on crowded stages I do not use an amp, and only use these monitors. They can handle moderate amounts of lows. They work wonderfully for vocals. Plus, they have mounts so you can use them as mains.

You can find them at
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

OK, I assume that budget is for a pair? I've been using a pair of CGM ARM 112H monitors for a number of years, and have mixed many national level bands using these. They cost me $150 each, new, and a quick search shows similar prices still in effect. Without proper EQ, these sound OK at best. With a good quality parametric EQ, I have been able to completely satisfy some extremely picky people. When I only had a 15 band graphic, they were still pretty good. They are nice and compact as well. PM me if you want to talk about parametrics, I own and have used a bunch.

If you have a choice, stay away from anything with a piezo tweeter, IMHO. Some companies can make them sound OK, but most are pretty suspect.
  6. Budget is for 1 speaker, I think I would only need 1 or would it be better to go with 2, and that is Canadian funds (240-400 US funds aprox.)

7. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    I'd go for two. Unless you want to continue using the profile monitors, or have the band crowd up against your monitor. ;)

Also consider the impedance of the speakers and power amp. For example, if you are using 3 8 Ohm speakers and have a power amp that can only handle 4 ohms, you could have some trouble. I'm not going into all the physics of this, since a search in the amps forum will provide plenty of data.
  8. the 2 profile speakers will run off one side of my amp and i will run my monitor off the other side.

9. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got a "Profile" brand monitor with a 12" and a horn. It's 150w at 8 ohms. Someone gave it to me for free because they too thought it sounded hollow. When I fired it up, the horn was so darn loud that it was practically drowning out the 12' speaker. So it turned out to be a rather easy fix. All I had to do was buy a L-pad attenuator and turn the horn down and the wedge is much more usable now.
  10. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've had good experience with Peavey monitors but they're heavy as hell!
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Could you use something to make it go back up to 4 ohms? Something to go in the signal path?
  12. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    This would be better addressed in the amps forum, since there are guys who really know this stuff who can explain all the details.

But since you ask, you can wire two 8 ohm speakers in series which will give them a total impedance of 16 ohms, then if you took those two speakers wired in series and added another 8 ohm speaker wired in parallel you would have a total load of 12 ohms.

But, if you had two outputs on your amp that will accomodate 4 ohms, the speaker setup should be fine. If you only have output, then you might have to do some creative wiring.

But please check on the amps forum for this, there's already a ton of info on this already that is more accurate or detailed than my explanations.
  13. I've got a pair of Yamaha's and a pair of JBL's.

The Yamahas are good, but I think the JBL's are better. So I use the JBL's for the front vocalists and the Yamahas for the drummer.
  14. Thanks guys for the replies, I have been away from the office the last week.

I think I am gearing towards the yamaha, but i have not tried the JBL's.... I find it extremely tough to try out speakers in a music store, not until I get them home do I, really get to hear if they are what im looking for, and if they cut threw the guitars, bass, & drums..... So hearing your thought and feedback are extremely helpful in making my decision.

Thanks guys,
  15. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Go with tha Yamaha clubV series. They have Eminence speakers in them designed to Yamaha's specs. They are very affordable for the quality, best bang for the buck. I think you can get a wedge for around $200.00.
  16. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Yeah, our soundguy doesn't like putting too much bass or any kick drum in the monitors and I was thinking of buying my own so he won't have to worry about blowing his. Can any of these handle bass AND kick well?
  17. Nope, even with 15" floor monitors I don't think you'd be happy with the bass sound out of the floor monitor. The speaker cabs are too small, IMHO, for a great bass response, plus the blend with the vocals doesn't go well. I've tried blending a little bass into 12's along with the vocals--the sound got real muddy real fast, and the vocals sounded crappy then. Unless you had an isolated bass monitor mix, I'd be hesitant to go with that approach.
  18. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    One of the bands I work with uses these:

I don't know how much they run, but I understand they're on the affordable side, and they sound fairly good.
  19. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The Yamaha clubV 15's thump bass! We use in ear monitors so I wouldn't know how the mix would turn out with bass and vocals with the 12's.