Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recomendations on a bass in the $500-700 range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mr. eff, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Well i've been looking at different basses for a while now, cause i don't have one at the moment. When i get one I will probably spend in the $500-700 range, maybe a little more.
    Anyways, I've been thinking about Conklin GT-4, Toby Pro 4B(one w/ asym neck), MTD Heir 4 string(passive), and the geddy lee jazz bass(probably not this one, but maybe). So far I'm thinking the Conklin is the best, although I've never played on one. Any one have any experience with any of these?

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    G&L L2000

3. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Ibanez SRX-700,or for a little less Ibanez SRX-500.I doubt you can get a G&L L-2000 new for that money unless it's a tribute.

4. bassmanMRC

bassmanMRC

Jul 5, 2004
    Minnesota
    Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 and 5s are, in my opinion some of the best bases for the price: $594 new on MF :hyper:

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Used Stingrays can float around $700 if you look. Used American Jazz and P-basses can be around $625-700. Just look around used, you'll likely get a much better deal.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just picked up a G&L Tribute and I would strongly recommend one for a bass at that price range. I really like the Musicman SUB also for a budget version of the Musicman sound. For slightly more, the Lakland Skyline and Ken Smith Design are great basses also.

7. Reverend Rumblefish! Brand new for $720. Get someone to loan you the extra $20 and don't look back.

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I'm with TPL on this one - go used
    you can get a much better deal if you look around
    sometimes the most unlikley basses can turn out to be gems and a lot of times you don't need to spend $500 to get one. Besides, you can usually get what you paid for them if you decide to sell them later.
    most of my gear is used and i'm quite happy with it - the only things i tend to shy away from are used cabinets unless i can try them pushed hard to check for blown or almost blown drivers

9. i would be going geddy. either that, or a marcus miller jazz bass

10. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

used G&L L2000

11. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    a used Peavey Cirrus smokes ANYTHING in the under $700 range

IMO

12. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Definitely used. Good deals. Nice basses.

13. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    If you are willing to settle for an import bass…your choices are seemingly limitless. As for me, go with used American. I just bought a gorgeous used G&L L2500 for $800, in mint condition. Godin would be another recommendation.

Deals are out there!

deBassMan

14. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Spector Rebop 5.. Made in Czech.. Awesome bass's.. :bassist:

15. A used G&L L2000

or

A new G&L Tribute L2000

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Used Lakland Skyline!

17. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

+1 :cool:

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I've played the G&L Tribute L2500 and it was one of the best basses I've played for under $1000 (CDN). I have, however, played a Schecter Stilleto Studio 4 and it SMOKED anything else I've ever played with the exception of a Bongo ($600 more) and an Alembic Orion (1300 more). I would entirely and wholly reccomend it. I don't know what it is with the bass, but it was PHENOMENAL. Closest I ever got to "my sound" was playing that through some mother of a tube amp.

19. I actually have a Geddy Lee which has the perfect maple Jazz vibe.
    I had a Conklin Gt-4 but I sold it. In terms of quality the Conk is better but I really prefer
    the jazz thing and sound. They are completly different basses. Both are thumbs up for the money but only you can make the right decision about your choice. You have to try both to make your choice...

:bassist:
    larry

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get many used USA basses for that price range IE G&L. Might want to check out the Skyline basses, they got a good bang for a buck.