1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recomendations on replacing schecter Diamond pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by troutbum22, Jan 12, 2012.

1. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    I've never worked on the "electrical" parts of a bass, but it seems pretty simple. I do a fair amount of electrical work on heavy equipment and household stuff. How easy is it to replace the pickups in my Schecter Omen Extreme. Are the pick ups all that I need to change? Recomendations?

Thanks in Advance.

2. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    Just to clarify...

The neck P/U is good, but the bridge P/U is WEAK!

Playing through a Carvin MB15 with a Traynor 115 extension cab.

Thinking I might just replace the OEM pre-amp with a bartolini

3. You can replace the preamp just by itself and not necessarily need to change the pick ups. If you go with a new set of p-ups, for my money its hard to beat EMG. They come as a full set of pickups, wiring, and preamp, output jack etc. They now use solder-less connections that are very easy to install, people with no electrical experience can put them in. But basically the answer is no, if you have some electrical experience and can solder, any combination of new electronics should be relatively easy.

4. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    The EMG 35DC pickups I think are the direct replacements for the Omen, I think.
    I used to have a Korean Spector with the same crappy EMG HZ pickups. Real EMG's might give you what you want.

5. I think the secret to HZ's is a good active preamp. I have some of them in my Dean Rhapsody 8 and personally I love em, very versatile, I can dial in just about any tone I desire, not sure why they get such a bad rap...

6. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I just thought they were, bland, unresponsive pickups. Just my .02

7. troutbum22

troutbum22

Dec 8, 2011
    Clemson, sc
    looks like the EMG BTS System HZ is the complete setup

8. Well if it's not your cup o tea, I wouldn't count out emg all together, their active pickups are pretty different and much more widely praised than the passive ones.

9. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    +1,000,000