Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recomended pups for a gsr

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by krazy_olie, Dec 22, 2004.

1. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Playing a Gsr200 and i need to beef up my sound a bit, but i can't afford a new bass that would be worth it.

Before anyone says that it's not worth it. I would put these pickups in to the next bass i get, probs a p/j as i love the tone it gives, and if it's a jazz then i'll just put in the jazz one and buy the equivalent neck p/u to go with.

So i need a p/j setup, with a generally even tone, growly, with a solid bottom and crisp top. Not scooped, i like my mids
    Think Duff mckagan, anyone know what he uses?
    Looked at what bestbassgear has, i'm in uk so i'm limited as to what shops i can get from.
    Bartolini set looks nice, as does the dimarzio model p/j set and seymour duncan hot.

any other recomendations and/or comments on the above will be much appreciated.

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    What kind of music? The Barts get my nod. Hard to beat for tone.

3. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    thx
    Mainly hard rock/metal, but i also bluesy rock, jazzy stuff, pretty much no slapping so i don't care for my tone on that front.
    I play semi-complex basslines. So i like it to cut through, but not sound too seperate from the guitar and blend in.

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Barts, then. With a good pre, would be unstoppable. To my ears, the SD's lack definition, too bassy in tone. I have a set of DM UJs in my fretless Jazz, they're great as well! I NEVER thought I'd like DiMarzios, thought they'd be distortion monsters. They're not! They are my second favorite. I've tried many SD's and came to the conclusion that they are definitely NOT my sound.

5. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Just checked the dimensions of the 9j#1 its a fair quite a fair bit thinner(over 1cm) and slightly longer than what's in their, This would look very odd and probs wouldnt be a very good idea.
    Dammit so much for the pickup changing idea, oh well