Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recomended reading

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Sam V, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Sam V

Sam V Guest

Aug 3, 2002
    Canada - Calgary AB
    Hi, I'm new to building.I recently bought a book entitled "constructing a solidbody guitar; a complete technical guide" by A. Siminoff. while this book did have alot of useful stuff, it wasn't very detailed for me. and more importantly it doesn't tell you how to figure out the fret distances for basses, it just gives you the measurments for a standard 25" guitar scale. It would be great if you could let me know what books are the most informative in your experiance.
    thanks in advance,
    -sam

2. Melvyn Hiscock's Make Your Own Electric Guitar is good, he goes through a neck thru bass in it. There are also fret calculators you can get.

Geoff

3. I have a book by Robert Benedetto called "Making an Archtop Guitar" I know that it is a lot different than a solid electric but his techniques are easily used for all types of guitar building. It is a great book, this guy holds nothing back.

4. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Melvyn Hiscock's book also does two guitars, each of them different. He describes the technique and they are similar if not the same for building a bass.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    http://www.buildyourguitar.com/
    Martin Koch has written a very detailed book on solid, hollowbody and semiacoustic guitars, incl basses. And includign your questions.