Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recomended sites to see in SF?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SpankBass, Apr 14, 2003.

1. Hello from slightly less sunny than sunny Southern California, Northern California. I'm in Sacramento with some family right now, we plan on hittin San Fransisco on tuesday. Problem is, we really don't have too many things planned out, anyone have any recomendations? We're pretty much just wingin it! I know that we are planning to see Alcatraz, and some other things that have slipped from my mind. I'd even like to meet one of you northern CA TB residents if you guys have any gigs or something planned.

The last time I will have access to a computer is tomarrow night, so make some haste with the replies. ;)

2. Hard Rock cafe, the funny street with all the turns and twists, the Blue Oyster Bar, and there's gotta be a Guitar Center there.....Have a good time.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Go to the restaurant where Jazzbo works!

4. Umm, Fisherman's Wharf. LOTS of stuff there to see. And Gheradeli's Square. Nothing but chocolate!! You can go to the Top o' Mark, which is some building up in the hills, and look over the city. On the other side of the bay is a very cool old site that used to be immigration. I can't remember the name of it, but it's an island, and the boat trip is very nice.

The GC down there is in the middle of the, well, I hate to use the word ghetto, but that's kinda what it is. It's the Tenderloin District, which is notorious for being full of homeless and drug addicts. I spent a week there on a community out reach deal, and saw some very sad things.

Anyway, the GC there is very dirty. I suggest the Sacremento Store, or, if you can make it down there, the San Jose store.

Also, for a another small trip, the Boardwalk at Santa Cruz is a lot of fun. Old wooden rollercoasters, bumpercars, and a huge arcade. Plus some pretty good surfing.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

5. That funny street with all the turns and twists is called Lombard St. it's the worlds crookedest street. Eat in Japan town. The Japanese Tea Gardens in Golden Gate park are cool.
    The Castro is always a fun little side show for the family...
    The Golden Gate Bridge is kind of cool too, then head over to Sausalito. oh and you have to take a ride on a Cable Car.. Go see my friend Dano's band Transcendental Hayride http://www.transcendentalhayride.com/shows/index.cfm
    .Have fun...

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    That's called Angel Island. If it's a nice day I'd suggest renting bikes at the Fisherman's Wharf. From there you can ride across the Golden Gate Bridge and down into Sausalito for lunch. From there you can catch a ferry that will take you across the bay, past Alcatraz and Angel Island, and back to Fisherman's Wharf. Great day trip.
    The Marin Headlands offer a great view of the city and GG. Twin Peaks offers a great view of the whole bay area. From the Wharf you can walk up into NorthBeach (little Italy) and Chinatown. The Mission is cool if you are with someone who knows where they are going. Just don't be stumbling around drunk late at night...danger. Upper Haight (Haight Ashbury) is the hippy mecca you may have heard about but is really a street with shops, good food, and a bunch of "homeless" tunnel and bridge punkers, trustafarians, etc. Lower Haight is a little funkier with only 2 blocks of bars/shops. Pickup a Guardian or SF Weekly free rag. These will have listings for live music, street festivals, etc.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A CHEAP RESTARAUNT!

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Aahh, speaking of cheap restaurants....

If you want an incredible vietnamese meal for dirt cheap, check out Tu Lan. It is in the middle of crack town (the Tenderloin) on 6th St @ Market but it is incredible and cheap. Also, great cheap Chinese at Chef Gia's, on Kearny @ Columbus. Also great cheap mexican food at Balazo, Zona Rosa, Taqueria Cancun, Pancho Villa, and endless other taquerias. The food in SF, budget or upscale, is second to none including NYC IMO.

9. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    seattle
    This is true. The only problem, according to a New Yorker article I read sometime last year, they don't deliver.