1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommed a 1x12 combo please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baddarryl, Sep 27, 2010.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Hi all. I need a practice amp that I can also use to play small gigs with too. Due to space, weight and tonal considerations I have decided on a 12. It will be primarily a practice amp to replace an Ibanez Soundwave 20, but I may play it out sometime when I don't need to drag my SWR stuff around.

I am interested in GK 112, Warwick Take 12, Orange crush 50, Ampeg BA 112 etc etc. $2-400 range. Must have a decent xlr out. Thanks, you guys rule!

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Neox 400 112 combo from Genz is my favorite 1x12 combo thus far. Nothing even close really. It's out of your range though.

I own a Backline 112, and it beats the crap out of the Ampeg BA112, but I don't know if it has a usable DI or not. Never even looked. Get yourself a DI and a tuner, no reason not to really!

The backline 112 is insanely loud. Insanely. No bottom end but that's the price you pay.

3. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Oh yeah, let me re state that really the most important consideration is tone and not volume so much. Thanks.

4. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you aren't that concerned with volume, I'd get an Ampeg B50R. They're fairly loud but also have a fatter tone than most of the little combos to my ears. Much nicer than the BA series.

5. terlewine

terlewine Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2001
    Athens, Ohio
    +1 on the B50R's tone! But mine sees little use because I wound up needing more volume.

6. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Well now I am looking for one of those (B-50r), so let me know if one becomes available some where. Thanks.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I bought a used Fender Bassman 150 1 X 12 for just this purpose. Its a tilt-back with built-in compression, two band semipara EQ, and the like. Not bad for the money.

Riis

8. GroovyBaby

GroovyBaby G&L Fanboy Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    Huntingdon, PA
    I have the WorkingPro 12 and I think it is a great little combo. It blew the doors off the similar (and more pricey) Ampeg combos when I A/B them at the store. It just had more umph and definition through the entire frequency range (especially the low B string and the upper harmonics). I've been very happy with the little work horse. I used it as my home practice amp and have taken it to smaller gigs as well. I think I paid about $550 for it new with 5 year warranty. That was 2 years ago and I'm still happy.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021