Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommedations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Oysterhead, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    i am looking to upgrade and i would like to stay in the 600-800 dollar range

what kind of stack set up do you recommend for playing bars parties, etc.?

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    To give you the info you want, we need to know about you. What style of music do you play? What type of tone do you want? And what do you play with now, that you need to upgrade from?

You can find a lot of decent stuff in that range (used, of course), so fill out your info and then we can help you better.

Oh, and welcome to Talk Bass. :)

3. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    right now i am playing out of a small 25w fender combo, i play a lot of different music (fusion) mostly rock, i need something that will give me a variety of sounds

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    For styles like rock, you can't go wrong with 10 inch speakers. I'd recommend at least a 410 for playing venues. For fusion (or anything capable of a variety of tones), I'd recommend getting a 2 or 3-way cabinet. A 2-10 and a 1-15 would be good if you could find the cabs at a reasonable price. I'm not a big fan of SWR, but their Triad cabinet comes to mind (1-10, 1-15, and a tweeter).

For amps, I'd recommend something with at least 250 watts into whatever cab(s) you choose. You could get a Peavey Firebass or a Hartke 3500 ;) pretty cheap. I know there are more out there. Try eBay or the classified section here at TB.

I think you could definitely find a good "upgrade" in your price range. I'm no expert about this, and I hope some others will give you some input as well.

Good luck. Rock on.
    :bassist:

5. Peavey Max 700 + Avatar B410 4 ohm
    $570+$381= 951 bucks (thats both shipped)
    A little extra than your budget but you'd be pumpin out 450 watts with just that. Add a 4 ohm B115 later and youll be rockin at 700 watts!