Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommend a 10-string (doubled 5) bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    i've looked all over and can't seem to find a doubled 5 bridge. i'm considering getting an eight string bridge for the e-a-d-g and getting one monorail for the b, since i don't think i really need the b to be doubled. but, i would still be interested in getting the ten string bridge. i know tune makes ten-string basses, but i don't think they make hardware for sale alone, and their page is in japanese! can anyone help? also, if, for some reason, the 8+monorail thing wouldn't work, let me know.

2. The new Wilkinson by Gotoh WBG-5 can handle doubled strings and is completely adjustable in all respects.

These are VERY nice bridges.

3. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    thanks. does gotoh have a website? i can't find much info on this bridge.

4. Not likely you will either. I purchase mine from an overseas distributor as a dealer. I don't resell yet however. Here's Gotoh's addresses for you to contact them for a distributor here in the states:

Gotoh
    3040 Miyako-cho, Isesaki, Gunma, 372-0801 Japan
    TEL: 0270-25-3608
    FAX: 0270-23-8432

5. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    thanks for the info. it looks like i'll be getting an eight string bridge - most likely the schaller 471 on warmoth's website - and using a monorail-type single bridge for the b-string. i've found some cheap ones on customshopparts.com, but my question (for anyone who might know or be able to guess) is this: will the spacing between the monorail and the schaller be reasonable? in other words, will the design of the schaller make it so that the b string will have to be really far from the e? the picture on warmoth's site is really small and i can't even find the bridge on schaller's website.

6. If I'm not mistaken the bridge you are getting is illustrated on Schallers website - yours just has 2 roller saddles per adjustment finger.

To figure the spacing, you are going to have to do some math. I'm not all that sure, you'll be able to maintain the same width for the B.

7. John Paul Jones' custom Manson 10 and 12 string basses have Schaller 3D bridges.
    [​IMG]

I think that the 3D baseplate from the 5 and 6 string versions can be fitted with the double-string saddles.

8. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Now we're talkin'

9. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    well, does anybody know where i can get double-saddles?

10. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    i emailed manson guitars and this is what hugh said:

nice guy.

so, where do i get these double saddles? [need a frustrated emoticon!] why does schaller have such a useless website?!

11. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    try searching for the japanese page on google and then using their auto translator and translating it...

Just a thought

12. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    i e-mailed warmoth to see if they would sell me a bridge plate with double saddles. ken warmoth responded:

"The Schaller bridge isn't going to be good for this application. You may wish to check with Hipshot as they will custom make bridges, I understand."

which would be fine if hipshot wasn't ungodly expensive. so, again i am frustrated. i don't understand why the schaller bridge wouldn't work, but i trust his knowledge of his product. i guess the double saddles are a little wider than the regular ones, but then the 8-string bridge on the warmoth website can't be a regular plate with double saddles. so very frustrated.

13. Zon built a 10 string for Michael Manring - I don't know what bridge they used- they might have made it themselves.

14. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    unfortunately, they don't translate from/to japanese. thanks, though.

they do, however, have their own page in a number of languages, including pig latin. i kid you not.

http://www.google.com/intl/xx-piglatin/

15. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    hahahaha

16. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    i asked michael manring and he said the bridge is custom-made by zon (and it's pretty cool - you should check out his forum for his description of it). since zon doesn't offer bridges, i made a last-resort e-mail to hipshot, and they replied:

"Hello Concial,
    I'm sorry at this time we are not doing any custom jobs.
    Jason"

can't even spell my name right! anyway, that's the only path i had left unturned, and i am still without a bridge. this is most upsetting. any help would be welcomed.

17. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Hmm, I just spoke with Ken Lawrence and he told me that Hipshot does custom work for him. Maybe we will have to go through someone who buys lotsa stuff from hipshot. That's the usual story:spit:

18. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    to be honest, anything custom-made by hipshot is probably out of my price range. i don't know the price difference between a stock bridge and a custom bridge, but probably too much for me.

i sent another e-mail to warmoth, asking if they had any bridge that would work with double saddles. i have yet to get a reply, and even if i do, i doubt they have anything - if they did, they probably wouldn't have told me to ask hipshot.

surely there are more double-five players out there! they probably got their's custom. sigh.

19. fivestringdan

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, don't fret conical johnson.:D I'm going to have one built and when I find a bridge, I'll let you know. It will happen!!!!!:bassist: