1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend a 4/5-string Lined Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayerwolf, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Friends
    I'm in the market for a fretless bass. One of the biggest reasons I started playing was Jack Bruce, and I like to produce as close as a "waaaaahhhhhhh" as he does.

Anyway, I'm looking to spend between $500 to $1000.

Any suggestions? I tried a 4-string lined Yamaha fretless this weekend and I liked the action, except I didn't like the toning knobs. And, I'm really looking for a 5 string.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and keep it low.

bassplayerwolf

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    heck for a few more bucks (300-500) you could get you a fretless warwick neck-through thumb.

you might also check out the acacia's. I'm not a huge fretless player and could mention many fretless's, etc. But I would say that Acacia is with out a doubt one of the best FRETLESS basses built.
    Matt at Acacia uses wenge which is what warwick uses in the thumbs to give the low end/mid growl, however Acacia breaks it up and doesn't over do it. Matt adds other woods to give a desired tone to the player.

Thanks and I hope you find what your looking for!

For those that criticize my posting, I'm offering help not selling anything. See my site I have no fretless's!!!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

In your price range, there is the Cort Artisan 5 and the MTD Kingston 5, both are killer low priced fretlesses.