Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend a 4/5-string Lined Fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayerwolf, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Friends
    I'm in the market for a fretless bass. One of the biggest reasons I started playing was Jack Bruce, and I like to produce as close as a "waaaaahhhhhhh" as he does.

Anyway, I'm looking to spend between $500 to $1000.

Any suggestions? I tried a 4-string lined Yamaha fretless this weekend and I liked the action, except I didn't like the toning knobs. And, I'm really looking for a 5 string.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and keep it low.

bassplayerwolf

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    heck for a few more bucks (300-500) you could get you a fretless warwick neck-through thumb.

you might also check out the acacia's. I'm not a huge fretless player and could mention many fretless's, etc. But I would say that Acacia is with out a doubt one of the best FRETLESS basses built.
    Matt at Acacia uses wenge which is what warwick uses in the thumbs to give the low end/mid growl, however Acacia breaks it up and doesn't over do it. Matt adds other woods to give a desired tone to the player.

Thanks and I hope you find what your looking for!

For those that criticize my posting, I'm offering help not selling anything. See my site I have no fretless's!!!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

In your price range, there is the Cort Artisan 5 and the MTD Kingston 5, both are killer low priced fretlesses.