1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lpittman, Mar 19, 2013.

1. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Hey everyone! Hope your all having a wicked day.

So I've been playing for a month or two now and am really enjoying my Fender Pre 4 string. I've got it paired up with a Shuttle 9.2 and a NX2-212T and really love the sound I'm getting now.

I am playing primarily blues, with a little bit of rock thrown in once in awhile. Here is the cat I'm playing for:

(I'm not in any of those vids).

Anyone - I'm finding there are many cases where I could use a low B string and thought I'd begin the hunt for a 5 string. Just looking for some general information and some suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

Luke

2. First off, know that most 5 strings are going to have slightly narrower string spacing.

Now, what is your budget for this new five string bass?
    Check out an Ibanez SR505 or 605. Those are really good basses, good for anything, despite the metalish image they can give off.

There are really tons of options.

3. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    I actually like the idea of narrower string spacing as I'm used to playing guitar anyhow.

Budget? I dunno, it really depends, I have a decent primary income so if the right bass came along I wouldn't mind spending a bit of money. Would be fine with $1000 right away, but don't mind spending upwards of $2k or more.

4. 77PBass

77PBass Banned

Dec 5, 2007
    nyc
    I find the Ibanez 5'ers to be amazing values. The necks are thin and straight and they sound good for the money. I've played $600 Ibanez 5'ers that, if I wanted one, I would buy. For some reason, the Ibanez basses at GC are always setup correctly while the Fenders su*k.

5. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Cool, I was unsure as to the quality of the guitars. Doing searches I've found a lot of results that are both bro and anti Ibanez stuff. Most other brands are either one way or another. Being right in the middle worries me. I'll head to the local store tomorrow and try some out.

6. That's a good budget margin...
    However I would like to recommend a fairly inexpensive bass that will help you along your voyage into the v-strings.

The Fender Squire V-J active bass.

Go and play a bunch of different ones and include my suggested bass.
    You just may like it...however if your firm on a grand or more please check out Carvin. They can customize to your tastes.
    Good luck and happy hunting !
    Here's a couple of pics of my Squire...I love it!

Attached Files:

7. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Did I miss it? How much do you want to spend? I've got 5 5 string basses, that I use with my Blues/Funk/Rock band. I have a Lakland 55-94, a Mike Lull PJ5, a Fender American Deluxe Jazz V, a Gibson Thunderbird V and a Epiphone Les Paul V. If you don't want to spend much, get a Schecter Diamond P 5 string. A Fender American 5P might also serve your needs. And Finally a Lakland 55-02 would be a good choice. Good luck.

Just saw what you want to spend. All of the above choices can be had for less than 2K used.

8. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Any 5 strings Yamaha will do the trick. I play the same kind of music. I use TUNE and Yamaha 5 strings bass. All under $500! Maybe to try 5 strings P bass?

9. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I love my Sterling Ray 35. It is a tonal monster and a real comfortable neck

10. BHester93

BHester93

Feb 18, 2013
    Mississippi
    im going to be that guy i guess but im in love with this ole warwick rock bass that i have. i cant speak for every single one out there but one of the things i like about it is that you can play smooth and melow with it and its going to sing you a lullabye but when you need the trashing sound it will sit there and scream with you like you wouldnt believe. im partial to the rich tone as well that it has and you can shop around and find a cheap used one (i got mine for 200) or you can get a brand new one depending on exact model and all for between 500-900

11. lpittman

lpittman

Mar 4, 2013
    Wow lots of great info. Clearly have a lot of looking around to do.

Found this locally:

http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/ibanez_srx_505/1568163/

Any thoughts on that guy?

Not a huge fan of anything Yamaha, other than their Pianos for some reason, as I can't bring myself to buy such a personal thing from a company that makes Motorcycles to DVD Burners to Drums to Microchips. I dunno. I'd rather go from a company that only makes guitars and/or basses.

Also - are there any 5 strings out there that do not have all the controls as most of these do? I much prefer to maintain all my settings from my head and do not want to even have the option of screwing with the settings on the bass, as I know it'll distract me.

Luke