1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend a 6 string bass and why do they seem suspiciously cheap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crow01, Apr 8, 2009.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    I am looking for a 6 string bass.

I checked musicgoround and basses seem way too cheap there anyways. I know they are used. Has anybody bought there?

I also checked samash and the average doesn't go beyond $600.

Which for my budget is a good thing but I thought 6 strings were way more expensive.

(I am not looking for a 4 thousand warwick)

But could you recommend one that is not too heavy, active or not.

I am into primus and some metal/funk and would like to get heavier sounds.

2. 6 strings are such a slow mover that very few want to stock a mid-upper level 6. Besides, I think the jump from 5 to 6 kinda makes a lot of bassists develop tight specs, which makes a lot of us go the custom route.

3. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Ibanez and Yamaha make nice sixers which won't burst the budget, but aren't completely crap either.

I'd go with ibanez.

4. Sijjvra

Sijjvra

Mar 31, 2009
    I used to have an Ibby 406 some years back. It was a pretty nice bass and only cost around 600-ish at the time, so modestly priced. You could check one of those out.

5. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    spector legend 6?

6. Definitely keep an eye open for a Yamaha 6'er..cheaper and really good stuff

7. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I'll never hesitate to recommend the LTD D-6. obscenely under-rated instrument.

8. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Whatever you do, make sure the B is nice and tight and/or the neck is solid. A good amount of lower end one-piece maple necked 6-ers have squishy B's. I'm not saying to get a 35" as I know there are good 34" 6-ers.

(see how I avoided the fames thar?) :p

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    A Yamaha or Ibanez would be the way to go - IMO.

10. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    google search triple r guitar in lemoyne pennsylvania. look at the used instruments on the site.. there is an amazing 6 string there.. looks plays and sounds wonderful.. if i could afford it it'd be mine.. i think its only 300 dollars ta boot!

11. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    +1

12. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Schecter's new Riot series looks interesting.. Not sure if they're available yet but might be worth a gander..

13. Rouge 6er on musicians friend....awesome bass and $249.00

14. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    You won't find a better B string in that price range.

15. Ibanez and Yamahas definitely get the bump. I've got the Ib SR506 and it takes care of the business. BP mag did a good review on some the budget/entry level 6ers a couple of months ago. I would check their site. And you can't go wrong with the SX/Douglas stuff either. Best deal for the price point. Be prepared to do a little cavity shielding though but once you do that ($20 bucks of copper shielding at StewMac) and you get great tone...

16. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    What????? No love for the Peavey Grind 6???

Nothing against Ibanez and Yamaha 'cuz I LOVE 'em both (my 1st bass was an Ibanez and my current is a Yamaha 5 that I'll never sell), but for $475 a Peavey Grind is the way to go...smokes the other (imho) and draws quite a bit of specs from it's big brother, the Peavey Cirrus.

Here's a review:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/Peavey/NTB-6+Grind/10/1

and pics:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=511372&index=0

17. There's a TL-6 on the Atlanta Craigslist for under $500..

There is no better 6 string value out there.. ebony neck.. neck through.. emgs.. kahler hardware.

18. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
  19. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Spector Legend 6, and upgrade the pups to active EMGs.

That's my next bass when I can sell this damn GTBD-7.

20. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    I want to love the Spector Legend 6s but I went through four of them about a year ago and they all had issues, from prominent dings in the back of the neck to a very warped nut. Those were all mail order. I've seen a couple of nice ones in different stores but they had scratches from being mishandled. I'm still on the lookout for a good one as they are very comfortable and sound nice.