Recommend a 6string bass for funk sub $600

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Mar 11, 2005.

1. I need one that is good for funk grooves with low end and thump preferrably active. The best I hear for a 5 string are the GL tribute and the Ibanez basses. Ive played some Dean and carlo robelli and they are not good to me at all.

Any good 6ers out there $599 or less
  2. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I hear alot of good things about brice basses, or ebay is usually where you can find them. For beter quality. I've seen some pretty nice used Ibanez's go for that price, along with a Yamaha or two for a sixer... Peavy's also anouther brand you should look into. Anyone else know any other good cheep 6's? I'm curious myself, torn between getting a 5 string fretless or a 6er.

ps, also some of the lower end spector's are nice if you find them used.
  3. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I'd say maybe a spector legend. I've never played them, but most spector basses have a good rep around here and are good for funk. Yamaha may offer something nice too. If I were you I think I'd maybe save up about $200 or $300 more and spend $800-$900 on a used Warwick Corvette 6-string. If not, the spector seems like a good thing to check out
  4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I'll second the Brice recommendation, however, I'll limit it to the Z6 series basses (one neck-through @$399 and one bolt-on @ $329) as these are the only Brices I have direct experience with. I use the Z6NT and it easily handles the 7 piece funk band I play with. BUT, the body is big, 35" scale and the string spacing is a little wide (19mm). Also, as with any Rondo bass, you're going to spend some time in set-up and the strings are horrible so they definitely need to be replaced.
  5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    if your going to be slapping on it make sure the string spacing is to your liking. The Spector Legend mentioned earlier is a great bass but the string spacing is a little narrow for full fledged funkin'.
  6. Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    +1 for the Spector Legend 6.
    Also, check out the ESP B206 at American Musical Supply. I don't know about string spacing tho.
  7. What is recommended or preferred spacing for slapping? Are those brice basses really that good or is this a "i heard this from someone" speech?
  8. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Good affordable sixers:

-Ibanez SR506 (2.125" wide at nut, 3.25" wide at last fret)

-Peavey Fury 6 (2.125" wide at nut, 3.25" wide at last fret)

-Samick Fairlane 6 (2" wide at nut, 3.1" wide at last fret)

These 3 I've played. I own a Fairlane. For slap/pop, I would avoid the Fairlane since the neck and string spacing are narrow. The Peavey and Ibanez have a width/spacing that is pretty normal on sixers. The Brice people mention is available with a wide neck/ wide string spacing.

Other affordable sixers:

-ESP LTDB206 (I was considering this bass for a spell)

-Dean Q6
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Peavey TL-Six (buy used)
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great recommendation. The forerunner of the Cirrus series. Very good basses, and a bargain on the used market.

If you must buy new, the Peavey Grind NTB or the Peavey Fury 6 are very good values.

The Grind series is hit and miss, though. Make sure that you play the one you are buying.

You don't have to worry about that with the Fury. Every one of those I have played has been very good.
  11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I'll third that. The Peavey TL basses were the first Peavey basses that I really took serious and the import Peavey's are quite a decent deal for the $$$'s. I would recommend though that you buy used and patiently look for an old TL bass. Also, you might want to keep your eyes open for a used Carvin 6. They are also quite a good bass for the $$$'s on the used market.
  12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've tried out a few at Rondo, and I own a V2 myself. IMO they really are "that good". Don't expect perfect fit-and-finish, but it's most definitely adequate. Also, new strings and a complete set-up are required for these basses (but you caould say that about just about any budget bass). I'm in love with my 6 string fretless V2. However, the older HXBs and V2s have somewhat narrow string spacing. Great for my playing fretless chords, not so great for groovin' and slappin though, depending on your technique.

The Peavey TLs are fantastic wonderful basses, but the string spacing is pretty narrow. I loved that on my old Dyna-Bass 5 for pick and finger playing, but for slapping it may be a problem, depending on your particular technique. Also, keep an eye out for a used Axcelerator 6, they're pretty smokin' as well. Again, if you like narrow string spacing.
  13. 'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I'll second the Ibanez SR506, but keep in mind the spacing isn't the greatest.

It's good, but not great.
  14. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Wait, what about an Ibanez BTB sixer? That has a wider neck and string spacing than the Soundgears, right? I've not played a BTB so I can't truly comment on it, but it is an affordable sixer and many folks here quite like the BTB line.
  15. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    +1. I have a BTB406. Paid $600 for it. Love it.
  16. Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    if you can, save a few bucks, it will be worth it in the long run. 6ers can be very fickle, especially when you want a nice even sound from string to string.....if done right, a 6 string can open up so many in love with my Q6 which I got on ebay for 1300....its a 93...
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The sound on the BTB4 series is lackluster IME. The Peavey Fury has the Cirrus electronics, which blows away the sound of the BTB406 electronics. I have A/B'd them, and there is no comparison.
  18. I tried all of the basses mentioned above. I bought the Brice Z neck through because of the wide string spacing. If you play funk, narrow string spacing will drive you nuts. The Brice sounds very good stock in passive mode but the tone controls are weak. I put in an Agulair OBP 1 and it just kicks butt.
  19. I got mine second hand for £250, beautiful bass, i think it sounds amazing, very clean, very clear, and it works with a Sansamp BDDI unbelievably well!