1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend a bass for $3100

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chutsk10, Aug 15, 2007.

1. So without really thinking I ordered myself a 6 string Dingwall AB1 while in a verey GASeous state. Believe me I will be fully satisfied with it however I am wondering now what kind of other high end basses I could have looked at with $3100

PS, The AB1 is proced at $3100 since I had a custom colour, permium quilt top and active electronics specified for it.

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    There are so many basses you can get for $3,100. We need more info to really give you any advice. What kind of music do you play? What's your preference regarding active vs. passive, scale length, string spacing, pickups? Slap or fingerstyle (or both?) Double-cut or single-cut? You mentioned active pickups for an AB1...

You might also consider a custom bass. You can get something spectacular for that price in a custom instrument.

I played a Modulus Quantum 6 yesterday that was pretty sweet. The action was too high for me to really evaluate it properly, but I used to have a Quantum 5 that I *loved.* You can get one of those for $3,100.

- Dave

3. Well I am more or less lookign for some suggestions on high end manufacturers so I can look into it more.

I play metal and rock, all fingerstyle.

34" scale, no real preference on string spacing & pickups.

I have decided on the Dingwall I just thoguht I'd now look around and see what I missed out on... probably a bad idea haha.

4. poisonoakie

poisonoakie

Nov 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
  5. +1
    Chris has to be the coolest guy ever.
    he said he could build me an 11 stringer for under 4K, with a top and a fan. Great stuff.
    You could have gotten an amazing 6 stringer from him for 3100

6. M5Yates

M5Yates Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    You can get a used Alembic Series I for around $3000.

BodyReduced.

7. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
  8. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    solid walnut burled roscoe century for a little more.

9. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    6 string fretted

10. Soma666

Soma666

Aug 27, 2006
    warwick $$ 6

11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I think you did just right with an AB1 Elite. :)

You've also ordered yourself one of the first AB1's off the line with a pre-amp and have a very rare quilt top...not to mention one of the first basses with the new FD-3/MachII bridge pickups.

12. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Oh man, those are some of the nice basses I've ever seen.

13. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I think that in that price range you will have a hard time finding a dog. Going by reputation alone, any of the bases listed above would be good choices (including the Dingwall). But what do I know? After all, my main axe is an MIK.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 You have many great options, and Dingwall is most definitely one of them. I find it a little odd that you say you are looking for a 34" scale bass, but you order a fanned fret Dingwall? So, presuming that 35" scale instruments might also be acceptable, here is just a small list of manufacturers worth checking out (in alphabetical order):

Curbow
    Dingwall
    MTD
    Nordy
    Sadowsky
    Sandberg
    Skjold
    Valenti
    Zon

15. It's a little funny that you're asking us AFTER you've chosen.

"Let's see what Carol Merrill had behind Door #2..."
    70s-Doors.

"Oh, it's a goat eating a giant pair of pants. Looks like you made the right deal".

(Sorry, I just miss that show). :cool:

16. I'll sell you my SX fretless for $3100. It's awesome.

17. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Buy two $1500 Basses...

18. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Or even a $1,500 bass and a nice rig to go with it!

19. Well I am not goign to regret the Dingwall since I've always wanted one. Not to mention I actually convinced Sheldon to do a custom color and throw on a premium top which he said he doesn't usually do on the AB1.

I guess there is no point to be lookign around AFTER I've already choosen but I just realized how much I'm spending on a bass I thgought I'd see what else I could have gotten.

Sorry, meant to say 34" and up

Oh I have already done that, my last purchase was a Rickenbacker 4003 and a nice rig so now that that's out of the way I had another GAS attack.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions so far there are some nice basses to look at. . .

20. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Here goes, This roscoe lists for 5500.00, retails for 4500.00 and you could get it for 3300.00 because some guy ordered it and owned it for ONE day. Century Signature 6, Solid walnut burled one peice body, Birdseye board, Bart pups and electronics, and it even has the upgraded wenge neck. I would be all over this if I could only convince my wife that its for the family. This IMO is the deal of the day and After posting this I am pretty sure it wont last long. Please click the link.[​IMG]