1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend a Bass for Me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stratovarius, Apr 28, 2010.

1. stratovarius

stratovarius

Mar 20, 2010
    Recommend a Bass for Me

I am pretty much a novice on the bass guitar, but have been playing guitar for many years. Currently I am playing a MIM Jazz Bass and though I have no complaints, I'd like to take things to the next level.

I will mostly be using the bass for a recording project. Generally, I'm not requiring a lot of flexibility. I prefer an instrument that I can just set once and get all the tone variation through playing technique. I play finger style and prefer four strings.

The instrumentation will be sparse, so I'd like the bass to be forward in the mix with a lot of presence. The style of music will be very funky with a deep groove. I never use a full-on slapping and popping style, but do play with a percussive technique.

2. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    idk, i think your MIM jazz is a pretty good fit.
    i guess i dont get what you are looking for that you arent getting?

3. +1

If you're not totally happy, then maybe some upgrades would help?

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Fender Jazz and Precision basses, while I'm not a fan of either, are really industry standard for bass recordings.

"Set once and go" doesn't work for any instrument.

You claim to be a novice, but then you say you need to take it to the next level?

Stick with a Fender Jazz or P-bass, and if you want to shell out the coinage, upgrade to an MIA.

5. stratovarius

stratovarius

Mar 20, 2010
    No, one has to EQ for the situation at the very least. The point is that I'm not needing the flexibility that someone in a cover band might need.

I'm not a complete novice, but compared to some of the guys around here...

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    A nice P bass or Stingray (single H, two-band EQ) are the first things that come to my mind.

I'm also an unapologetic G&L fanboy but many are intimidated by the L-2000's controls. The L-2000 might have a few more bells & whistles than you are looking for though the SB-2 might be a great choice. Plus, G&Ls are a steal on the used market.

Phew, that felt good! Alright, I'm done with my G&L pushing for the day (probably).

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    The Fender P-bass and Fender Jazz are as simple as you can get compared to the versatility that they offer. My position stands. If you want to upgrade, just upgrade to a MIA Fender or some higher grade Fender clone.

8. roysloco

roysloco

Sep 19, 2008
    Glasgow
    +1

Fender P-bass is about as 'no frills' as it gets, but you already have a MIM Jazz so all you'd really be doing is buying a bass with a bit less flexibility (and having the flexibility of the Jazz bass doesn't lessen your ability to produce tonal differences through technique by the way).

I'd have to agree with FunkMetalBass - if you already have a MIM and like it, the next step for a noticable improvement is probably MIA p or j.

That said - there's no substitute for getting your hands on some bases and trying them.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Recommend a Bass for Me

Get one with 5 strings

10. stratovarius

stratovarius

Mar 20, 2010
    I do have one and that extra string bugs the crap out of me. We guitar players are a narrow minded lot, you know. ;)

11. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    I'd stay with the Jazz but it's a good excuse to get a Fodera!

12. Rilander

Rilander

Apr 13, 2010
    Tampa Florida
    i think an american P bass would suit you. go to the music store and play one. you'll see. i love mine :ninja: